Ever heard of the term, trade-off? If so, then you know that it means: in order to achieve one thing, you must be willing to give up another. Simply put, you cannot have everything. Something has to be surrendered along the way so that more important ends are realized. This idea also holds true for beauty. If we want to look the best we can, we must give up some things or practices that we are used to. Similarly, if we give up bad health habits, we get rid of dark circles under the eyes.
What are these Bad Health Habits?
Let me enumerate the main habits that cause those dark circles under the eyes :
- Insufficient water intake : Many people are not fond of drinking water. They probably know since first grade that they have to drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Still, they’d rather drink soda or coffee than that bland colorless liquid with the symbol H20. Rarely do they expect that lack of water intake or dehydration of some sort results to poor blood circulation. This contributes less oxygen in the blood which causes that bluish hue under the eyes.
- Excessive salt intake : Excessive salt in one’s diet can impair the blood circulation. So start reducing your fondness for salty food to get rid of dark circles under the eyes.
- Sleeping late : Burning the midnight oil, especially when spent in front of the television or the computer tends to strain the eyes, contributing to poor blood circulation. Also, as lack of sleep causes the skin to be pale, dark circles under the eyes become more obvious.
- Vices : Smoking and excessive alcohol drinking are two habits that make it difficult for people to get rid of dark circles under the eyes.
- Vigorous eye rubbing : We perhaps see people who like to rub their eyes forcefully. There are those who have it as a mannerism and do it more often than they should. What they don’t know is that rubbing the eyes can break the capillaries, or the tiny blood vessels under the thin skin around the eyes. These capillaries are so fragile and they break easily, causing leakage of blood cells that appear as dark circles under the eyes
- Poor skin hygiene : Failing to wash and clean the skin before going to bed is a big no-no! You just can’t get rid of dark circles under the eyes with this. Leaving make-up on can cause residual cosmetic pigmentation, which causes dark circles under the eyes.
A Fair Trade?
It is a fair trade! Drink more water daily, reduce the intake of salt, get quality sleep, quit vices, control eye rubbing mannerism, maintain good hygiene-and get rid of dark circles under the eyes. Trading old bad habits to new good ones. The trade doesn’t only improve your outer appearance, but it also improves your health as well.