7 Signs You’re Washing Your Face Wrong, Plus How To Fix It?
Achieving healthy, glowing skin does take a lot of mindfulness and daily upkeep. Your face products do deliver on their promises but, although it may not already be obvious, these too need help. Sometimes, all it takes for you to see, feel and enjoy a more radiantly beautiful face is by cleansing your face properly by washing it well.
Tell-tale signs that you’re washing your face in the wrong way
Many of us miss out totally on the short-term and longer-term importance of proper face washing. The longer it takes for you to come around from this potentially skin damaging practice, the sooner will signs of damage like permanent lines and creases will appear on your skin.
It’s high time that you took a closer look at how you have been fairing well or poorly at washing your face. Below are tell-tale signs to look out for that indicate how wrongly you have been washing your skin:
- You have dry, rough, scaly skin. Yes, your skin type may be normally dry but, having rough and scaly skin can also mean that you have been vigorously rubbing your products and tools (like an exfoliating brush) against your skin or, that you are simply using the wrong products and tools to cleanse your skin. Take note, that whereas you do need to clear your skin from many kinds of impurities, rough rubbing will only cause your skin more harm than good.
- You see acne, blackheads and whiteheads all over your face. The area that will often mostly be affected is your t-zone. Seeing these blemishes appear on your face means that your pores are clogged and have not been getting cleansed thoroughly. The grime formed from excess oils, dirt and makeup residues eventually become infected, and causing you to suffer from these unsightly and sometimes painful breakouts.
- Your skin appears dull and lifeless. Skin complexion that lacks radiance can mean dead skin cells are floating around on the surface of your skin. Not only does this increase your risk of developing skin infections but also limits the ability of your expensive skincare products to do what they are supposed to do.
- You can hardly notice the results you want to see and experience from your facial products. That’s because grime stuck in your pores and the layers of dead skin cells and other impurities that have piled up on your skin are making it difficult for your products to penetrate your skin.
- Your makeup isn’t flattering your face and complexion. Just as a dirty face limits the effectiveness of skincare formulations, so too are your cosmetics affected. With dead skin floating around your skin’s surface, your makeup product simply don’t glide over when you apply them and neither do they blend in well with your skin nor with each other.
- You see colors on your towel. Aha! Got ya! One of the cruelest ways you can ever do to your skin is to not strip it off of all makeup at the end of the day! In case you haven’t already figured out, cosmetics products are often formulated with harmful ingredients like synthetics and preservatives that can infect and even corrode your skin.
- You notice wrinkles and pigments appear on your skin. This is the sign you don’t want to see before you turn 30. If you are seeing wrinkles and fine lines in your 20s then, there must be something wrong about how you’ve been treating your skin. On the other hand, while it’s perfectly fine to grow signs of skin aging in your 30s and as you get older, you are feeding their growth and development as you keep damaging your own skin which you can easily inflict with poor face cleansing practices.
How to Wash Your Face Properly?
Follow the steps below to renew your journey to clearer, cleaner skin:
Step 1: Unlearn everything you know about face washing.
Step 2: Get yourself an oil-based makeup remover. It lets you easily strip off your skin of even the most stubborn makeup, including the stay-on and waterproof varieties without having to rub vigorously against your skin.
Step 3: Cleanse your face using lukewarm water. Water that is either too cold or too hot strip off your skin’s natural oils and leave the skin surface rough and damaged.
Step 4: Use a gentle facial wash to cleanse your face. Remember to mind the labels. If your have oily or acne prone skin, you will benefit from a cleanser that is infused with alpha- and beta- hydroxy acids that lift dead skin cells and flush them out.
Step 5: Enjoy washing your face. Make face washing a therapeutic activity. Don’t rush. Give yourself a few minutes to relax and enjoy the soothing experience as you massage your face.
Step 6: Pat dry. Never rub your towel against your face!
Start minding how you wash your face. This simple step can spell the difference between getting a healthy or a poor complexion.
Skin Brighteners aid in reducing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation revealing even skin tone. Skin brighteners also can help revitalize tired and dull skin resulting in a youthful, healthy glow.
Below you'll find some of the most effective skin brightening products on the market today, in our opinion.