8 Expert Nail Hacks For Beautiful & Healthy Nails
We want beautiful nails!…and all the time too. If you have your nails done in the salon, however, you’ll need to have it done at least once or twice weekly, and it does make a toll on the budget. DIY your mani and pedi and you get to save on a professional treatment.
8 Hacks To Treat Your Nails Right
Below are eight nail hacks experts have always known and which you must know as well to get beautiful and healthy nails all the time:
1. Get softer, smoother hands and repair damaged or dried cuticles overnight. Soak your fingers in lukewarm water for about 3 minutes or so. Push back each of your cuticles gently with your wooden nail tool. With a pre-prepped and heated cocoa butter and olive oil mixture, soak your fingers in it. Cover both hands with a sock and sleep in them. By the time you wake up in the morning, you’ll have ultra fine hands ready for a nail polish treatment or, a polish-free day!
2. Prevent smudges from ruining your art
Before painting your nails, first, line fingernails with petroleum jelly using cotton buds for better precision and control. Or, line each nail with white all-purpose glue. Let the glue set for a few seconds. Once dry, you may start painting your nails. Once your’re done painting, all you’ll have to do is wipe off the sides of your nails if you used petroleum jelly or, peel off the dried glue to remove all the excess nail polish if you prefer white glue.
3. Use slim-tipped makeup brush to draw on your nails. Make sure your makeup brushes are clean before using them to apply nail polish. Small, slim-tipped brushes give you more control that allows you to precisely draw the nail art of your preference. Other than makeup brushes, you may also improvise on your other nail art tools. For instance, you can use push pins to dot your fingernails with polish.
4. Master the nail polish application strokes. You cannot possibly get amazing nails without getting the strokes right. Before anything else, make sure that your nails are clean, cleared of excess cuticles, and filed to shape. Also check that your paint brush is not covered up in lumps of dry nail polish and that you have fresh nail polish to work with. If the brush is the only problem, simply soak it in warm water to get all those nasty lumps out. Dry the brush further by brushing it against a soft, disposable cloth.
Once your brush and polish are ready, start by applying clear polish at the bottom tip of your nails. Push the brush back against the cuticle. Do not paint on top of your cuticle. Bring the brush all the way up from the base of the nails, all the way to the tip. Do this section by section from one side of your nails to the other until the entire nail is coated. Paint with your colored nail polish next using the same technique. End with a clear polish top coat to give your nails shine and protection. If you prefer a matte finish, check out the next hack.
You May Like: 10 Ways You’re Doing Your Nails Wrong
5. For matte coated nails, simply mix clear polish and corn starch. Top your colored nail polish with this new mixture, and you’ll get matte finish in an instant! What a no sweat hack!
6. Once done, spray painted nails with hairspray to quick dry your polish. Or, if you don’t have hair spray, fill a bowl with ice cold water. After letting your nails air dry for about 3 minutes or so, soak your fingernails in the bowl. This will dry and freeze your nails instantly.
7. Need a quick fix but also have to make it look surprisingly professional and difficult to achieve? Go for a marble look. For an easy marble design, get a cup filled with water. Pour in drops of nail polish in it depending on your preference. Give the colorful mixture a slight twirl on top with a pen. Dip each of your nails into the cup and let dry before applying colorless polish.
8. Going for polish free nails. Cut and file nails. Soak in a mixture of baking soda and cucumber juice. Cucumber has natural astringent properties which lightens skin but is mild enough so as not to dry out and irritate skin like astringent citrus fruits often cause. Baking soda, on the other hand, is already a well-known bleaching agent used to clean and whiten teeth, tile surfaces, and even nails. If you don’t like the idea of putting together this potentially messy mixture, reach for denture cleaners which are also made from baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. If you have yellowish nails, this hack will work best on your nail problem but, remember, so too will giving your nails polish free days to allow it to breathe.
There’s no reason why you should be spending so much on your nails or, to live with awful looking nails with these 8 easy hacks in mind. You can do it!