How do anti-wrinkle serums work?
The face-lift capacity of anti-wrinkle serums is based on two main mechanisms. The first one involves the enhancement of collagen and elastin synthesis. As we age, the body’s ability to synthesis collagen declines.
A decline in levels of skin collagen and elastin causes wrinkles, black spots, fine lines, among other aging signs. Secondly, anti-aging creams are infused with peptides that enhance skin hydration. The humectants keep the skin moist, soft and tender all day long.
Anti-wrinkle serums, therefore, plump the skin, improve texture, and enhance tone & complexion. They tighten the skin also enhance glossiness thus eliminating all signs and symptoms of skin aging.
Which anti-wrinkle serum is best for you?
There are countless anti-wrinkle products in the market today. The rich variety comes with the advantage of affordability and accessibility. On the downside though, it makes it hard to choose the best anti-aging cream, more so for first-time buyers.
With so many anti-agers available, you’ve got to know what you want lest you end up with low-quality products. That said, the effectiveness of your anti-wrinkle serum largely depends on the constituent ingredients.
As such, the next time you go shopping for the best, proven, most effective anti-wrinkle product, all you need to do is pay close attention to the list of active ingredients.
Common anti-wrinkle serum Ingredients
- Retinoids: belong to a family of vitamin A compounds. Retinol and retinoic acid are the main retinoids used in anti-agers. Research studies have shown that retinoids induce collagen synthesis thus aiding in reducing wrinkles, fine lines, and even dark spots. Retinoic acid, in particular, is known to improve skin texture and tone.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs): in skincare products, these ingredients have two main functions. First, they enhance the growth of new skin by enhancing the removal of dead skin. Secondly, they improve skin pigmentation and toning. In anti-wrinkle creams, the most common AHAs include lactic acid, citric acid, and glycolic acid. Also closely related to AHAs are beta hydroxy acids and polyhydroxy acids, both of which are effective against aging signs. In addition, research shows that Alpha Hydroxy Acids can prevent UV-induced skin damage.
- Vitamin C: also called ascorbic acid and does a good job protecting your skin from sunburns, wrinkles, and fine lines. It is a potent antioxidant, thus protects the skin from free radicals as well as UV radiation. Research has demonstrated the beneficial effects of Vitamin C on the skin.
- Niacinamide: the ingredient is closely related to vitamin B3 (niacin). In anti-aging creams, this ingredient is used as an antioxidant. It also improves skin moisture, thus keeping the skin plump, soft, and even-toned. Niacinamide is very effective against wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging. Research has shown that niacinamide is a suitable treatment for aging skin, skin disorders, and for acne.
- Green tea extracts: Green tea is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory peptides that improve skin tone and texture. In fact, regular use of green tea extracts promotes collagen synthesis leading to better skin glow and firmness. Studies have shown that green tea accentuates the effect of anti-oxidants and can smooth out wrinkles.
Below, you’ll find some clinically proven anti-wrinkle formulations that are best for you, in our opinion.
Why you really need an anti-wrinkle serum
As we age, the skin naturally undergoes radical changes, some reversible others permanent. For instance, collagen production begins to decline. The skin’s moisture retention capacity subsides, the body’s fat reserves shrink significantly.
The skin becomes wrinkled, hyper-pigmented and the youthful glow fades away. Luckily, all these changes are reversible with anti-wrinkle creams.
Like most anti-agers, anti-wrinkle serums are loaded with ingredients that relieve most of these symptoms. For instance, some creams are enriched with humectants that lock in skin moisture keeping you well hydrated. Some also make the skin plump, firm, and flexible thus eliminating wrinkles, fine lines, and brown spots.
Already struggling with signs of aging and need an urgent facelift, an anti-wrinkle serum is all you need.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective wrinkle serum formulations on the market today, in our opinion.
Our Top Wrinkle Serums
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available informations and our estimation of efficacy.
*Result may vary. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purpose. No medical claims are implied in this content, and the information herein is not intended to be used for self diagnosis or self treatment of any condition.
*Disclosure of Material connection: Some of the links in the post above are "associate sales links." This means if you can click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials."