Banana Boat Aloe Gel Review: Is It Safe And Effective?
Banana Boat Aloe Gel Overview
Banana Boat Aloe Gel, US $6 for a 16 fl. oz. bottle, This is sunscreen
for an after-sun care formula that relieves your skin from early signs of photoaging.
About Banana Boat Aloe Gel — Does It Really Work?
This product is brought to you by Sun Pharmaceuticals, LLC, a US-based skin care company that has been managing Banana Boat, one of the first and most trusted brands when it comes to sun care for the whole family. Banana Boat products are specifically formulated to protect, relieve and retrieve skin from damage and aging caused by UVA and UVB rays.
Based on claims made by the manufacturer, this product has been formulated to deliver for you the following benefits:
What Are The Ingredients In Banana Boat Aloe Gel?
- Aloe: Promotes faster skin healing as it supports your skin’s natural mechanisms for repairing and treating damaged skin.
- Glycerin: A powerful emollient that dramatically increases your skin’s moisture content.
- Benzophenone-4: Provides your skin with a UV shield but, one which has the ability to deeply penetrate your skin and cause it to become more prone to sun damage.
Directions to Use
Banana Boat Aloe Gel must be generously applied on freshly showered skin right after being exposed to damaging UV over a prolonged period of time. This product has been deemed safe for use on the face but, should not be applied anywhere near your delicate eyes.
- Banana Boat Aloe Gel is also available in a non-SPF variety which you can keep applying on your skin even at night.
- This product has been around for a long time and has built a great track record for use as after-sun care.
- User reviews indicate that this product may cause a burning sensation to the skin and, possibly, an irritating after effect.
Does Banana Boat Aloe Gel Have Any Side Effects?
Based on the ingredients and reviews, the following side effects may be experienced when using Banana Boat Aloe Gel:
- Skin irritation and allergic reactions due to several ingredients, including drying alcohol and artificial colorants.
- Increased risk for permanent skin damage due to alcohol and triethanolamine.
- Increased risk for developing various forms of cancers due to Imidazolidinyl Urea which releases formaldehyde, a carcinogen, as a by-product.
- Increased photosensitivity due to Benzophenone-4.
Banana Boat Aloe Gel Customer Reviews
Banana Boat Aloe Gel reviews read:
- “I went floating down the river this past weekend and I did use sunblock,but still I was red as a lobster afterwards. I wanted the pain to stop badly. So when I went to the store, I just grabbed Banana Boat After Sun Aloe Vera Gel. I was thinking it was absolute pure aloe and did not check the ingredients. It did help my legs some,but my chest kept on getting worse each day. It started to smell like hand sanitizer and burned my chest even more. When I finally did look at the bottle, I seen the alcohol as second ingredient. Today, I am going to go get Real Aloe and check this time.” — eillasun on walmart
- “Like it says, I bought this aloe product almost 20 years ago when I was badly sunburned in the Caribbean. It smells clean and is absorbed quickly. I lived in the Caribbean at that time and I knew that the aloe plant “goo” is a great healing agent but it has a very pungent smell. I don’t know how they make it smell so good but i don’t /won’t use any other aloe product because of it. After 4 days, my burn turned to tan and i had zero peeling. GREAT STUFF! I bought 5 bottles before leaving to move back to the states and I just fin7shed up the last bottle. I am very happy to know its still around.” — warmssmeallup on the manufacturer’s website
Banana Boat Aloe Gel contains aloe, but also additives and preservatives. The worst ingredient that you can find in a sunburn repair solution is alcohol and, yes, it will sting. It’s always best to check and compare with other options.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective Sunscreens formulations on the market in our opinion: