Five Ways To Prevent Puffy Eyes By Hydrating Your Skin
What you do and what you deprive your body with is often manifested in the state of your skin. And since we put so much emphasis on looking good, any skin imperfection is frowned upon. One of them is puffy eyes, the tired swollen look of the skin around the eyes. This can cause a person to become conscious of her looks and may even affect her self confidence. But before you delve into any treatment, it is important to know what causes puffy eyes in the first place. And one of the most common reasons for eye puffiness is dehydration.
Dehydration – the Culprit behind Puffy Eyes
When the skin is deprived with enough fluids, puffy eyes will begin to show. This is because the skin around the eyes is so thin and sensitive. While the rest of the skin on the face is 2cm in thickness, the skin around the eyes is only 0.55cm thick.
When dehydration occurs, the body moves more water outside more than it takes water inside of the body. This imbalance causes the swollen appearance of the tired eyes.
What to Do with Puffy Eyes Caused By Dehydration
If you have established that dehydration is the main reason for puffy eyes, there are a number of things you can do to deal with it.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day. If you are especially active, you should drink more. It would be best to carry your own water container wherever you go so that drinking water will become more handy and convenient.
- Enrich your diet with fruits. Another good alternative for water are fruits rich in fluids such as watermelon, apple, pears and many more. They are also good sources of vitamins that can help your skin become more radiant and glowing.
- Other beverages such as soda, tea and coffee are not alternatives for water.
- You should also have enough sleep. It is best to sleep with your head elevated so that fluid in the body does not collect on the skin around the eyes that cause swelling.
- Moderate your alcohol drinking. Beers and other liquors can cause dehydration of the body too.
No matter how busy we are, we should not take our bodies for granted. Most of the times, we only act when the problem begins to show and worsen. But, by being vigilant of our lifestyle habits, we are also doing our skin much favor.
Puffy eyes are but a manifestation of what we do to our body. It is therefore important to keep the body hydrated as much as possible, get enough sleep, eat the right foods and you are sure to wake up every morning feeling and looking fresh.