Basic Facts About Cellulite You Need To Know
Are those dreaded bumps and ripples appearing around the top of your lower limbs bothering you a lot? You undoubtedly know they are not dangerous enough to kill you. Nor do they cause much pain to your body or the affected limbs. Yet, youcall them dreaded, because they tend to make you feel repulsive about the shape of your figure, about yourself. Yes, they are the dreaded Cellulite bumps – quite an enemy of the beautiful people!
What Is Meant By Cellulite?
The American Heritage Dictionary defines cellulite as “a fatty deposit causing a dimpled or uneven appearance, around the thighs and buttocks.” A new version of the same dictionary dubs cellulite as another form of fat with a dimpled appearance, which is never easy to get rid of by dieting.
In more simple terms, cellulite is nothing but ordinary fat manifesting itself in the form of dimples, small bumps or ripples – on the skin around the lower limbs, abdomen and pelvic region of some people, the vast majority being women. The cellulite condition normally occurs immediately after puberty and escalates with age as the subcutaneous layer of the skin gets thinner and the fat cells grow in size thereby imparting pressure on the surface of the skin. Even though cellulite can affect people of both the sexes, men can take comfort from the fact that the problem is more prevalent in women purely due to physiological reasons.
Sometimes there is a tendency amongst people to mix up or relate cellulite with cellulite. Cellulite is a different condition that implies a common infection of the skin and its subcutaneous tissues. Yet another myth relates Cellulite to being overweight. It is not so – normal or underweighted persons are as susceptible to develop those dimpling as the overweight people are.
Why Are Women More Susceptible To Cellulite Than Men?
Experts ascribe the greater vulnerability of women to develop cellulite to a drawback in their physiological system. Men rarely develop cellulite because their fat cells – sharper in shape in comparison to that of women – are located deep beneath the skin. On the contrary, the smoother fat cells in a female stretch almost close to the surface of the skin. As such, even a small growth of the fat cells will result in dimpling the surface of the skin.
The victims of cellulite could belong to any of the following categories:
- Young girls around the post-pubescent age of 14-15 years. In fact, majority of girls in their post-pubescent stage are affected by cellulite in some degree or another. The reason for onset of this cellulite conditions could be attributed to the hormonal changes taking place at that age.
- Postnatal women as well as women taking birth control pills regularly – again due to hormonal changes in the form of enhanced flow of estrogen that can not be discharged conveniently from the body.
- Cellulite can also develop in a person after a traumatic injury if the circulatory system has been disturbed.
- A sedentary lifestyle too leads to a hardening of the connective tissue, causing dimpling of the skin.
What Are The Factors Responsible For Onset Of Cellulite?
The various factors that contribute to appearance of cellulite are:
- Hormonal Factors. Hormone is the predominant factor as discussed previously.
- Genetic Factors. Genetics factors such as race, gender, biotype as well as other genetic predispositions could have a say in the cause of onset of cellulite.
- Unhealthy Diets. Poor dietary habits – consumption of large amount of carbohydrates, fats, salt and alcohol – contribute adversely to the cellulite conditions. Inadequate intake of fiber as well as of fluid also tends to multiply the problem.
- Poor Life Style. Lack of exercise, smoking, avoidable stress, improper medication, ill-fitting dress or shoes, inappropriate limb postures and other sedentary habits – one or more of these could be major factors responsible for developing or aggravating cellulite.
While you may not do much about the first two factors contributing adversely to cellulite, you can do a lot to eliminate the last two from your life. You just have to eat and live well (in a real healthy sense!) that will keep you away from the hazards of cellulite.