How do cleansers work?
Cleansers are pretty similar to regular face washes, but for the mechanism of action. Because they are oil-based, these skincare products dissolve away excess oil, makeup, dirt, and grime from your skin.
Unlike washes, cleansers are not meant for taking out deep-seated grip, oil, and debris for instance from the skin pores.
The direction for using a top cleanser is pretty direct.
- Take a small amount of your top cleanser and smear on the face.
- Spread evenly then massage continually around the face and neck.
- After a while, rinse the face with lukewarm water then dry with a towel.
The effectiveness of your particular brand of top cleanser depends on the ingredients infused inside the formula. Herein, we’ve highlighted some top-tier ingredients you might want to check out before buying top cleansers.
Which cleanser is best for you?
Choosing the best top cleanser isn’t easy, especially now that there are as many brands as there are faces to be cleaned. It takes the experience of an expert to find what suits you best.
You’ve got to pay attention to the product specs before purchase. Here are a few tips to help the best top cleanser.
If you have sensitive skin, you might want to go slow on “nourishing” and too stripping cleansers. These types may seem quite the recipe for smooth and glowing skin.
In truth, however, they do more harm than good. Also, included in that category are sulfate-based cleansers.
That said, here are some must-have facial cleansers you may want to consider the next time you go shopping.
Makeup-removing cleansers are a good choice. In this category, micellar cleansers, and cleansing waters are worth checking out.
When you want to give your skin a thorough wash, deep cleansers are definitely the way to go. They penetrate much deeper to remove clogs, oil, dirt, and skin dead cells. Be sure to have one of these in your collection of top cleansers.
If you have a normal-oil skin, here are some cleansers you may want to consider; gels, foams, bars, and oils. These facial cleansers also work for sensitive oily skins.
On the other hand, those with normal, dry and sensitive skin may want to try out the following top cleansers; creams, lotions, facial milk, hydrating foams, oils, and cleansing waters.
The Common ingredients to Look for in top cleansers
- Salicylic acid: A common ingredient used mostly in facial cleansers for acne. It is allowed in concentrations of up to 2%. Salicylic acid dissolves grime and dirt thus improving skin texture and tone. However, because of the strong dehydration effect, salicylic acid products should be used together with a moisturizer. It’s also used as a peeling agent, to treat acne (source).
- Glycolic acid: An alpha hydroxy acid used to enhance cell regeneration. Glycolic acid promotes skin cell turn over by enhancing the removal of dead cells. It is also known to improve the synthesis of collagen and elastin for a firm and glossy skin.
- Allantoin: It is used in concentrations of between 0.5% and 2.0%. Allantoin is a potent moisturizer, thus helps prevent flakiness, dryness, general skin inflammation. It is also called glyoxyldiureide or 5-ureidohydantoin. Research shows that this is an effective anti-aging agent for smoothing out lines and wrinkles, as well as moisturizing the skin.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate: Also known as the foaming ingredient, Sodium Laureth Sulfate acts as a detergent. Furthermore, it also has some surfactant properties. The ingredient does a good job dissolving and removing oil, dirt, and other debris from the skin surface.
- Propylene glycol: A potent moisturizer. It is used in facial cleansers to improve skin hydration. It is also said to have some antibiotic properties, thus may eradicate some bacteria from the skin pores and surface. It’s perfectly safe to use on the skin for cosmetic reasons.
The Benefits of using cleansers
Cleansers provide an excellent way to slough off dead cells from the skin surface. That comes with the advantage of improved skin aeration, texture, and even tone.
These products also lock in skin moisture. That makes the skin firm, plumb, and flexible. Improved skin hydration also eliminates aging signs like wrinkles, fine lines, and dark spots.
Cleansers can be used to manage acne and other related skin conditions. By removing dead cells and unclogging pores, bacteria have no breeding ground, hence no whiteheads or blackheads.
That said, below you’ll find some leading top cleanser brands from renowned manufacturers. Because they are clinically tested for quality by third-party labs, these are the best cleansers, in our opinion.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective Facial Cleansers formulations on the market in our opinion: