Can Alcohol Cause Premature Wrinkles?
While there is not usually anything extremely harmful about having a few drinks now and then, excessive consumption of alcohol will not only harm your body but will age you prematurely. Alcohol is a very powerful dehydrating agent in your body and will deplete your body of the moisture it needs to work properly. Given enough alcohol in your system, it will also deprive your skin of the moisture as well, leading to premature wrinkles and other signs of aging.
The causes of wrinkles include a wide variety of factors, such as:
- Environmental factors such as sunlight and pollution
- Your habits
As you age, the collagen in your body will begin to diminish, and this leads to wrinkles. However, you can truly speed up the loss of collagen by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol as well. Alcohol acts as a powerful diuretic, and used to excess, will deplete your body of the liquids it needs. The body will respond to this lack of fluid in the body by removing it from the skin and this will lead to dry skin and a haggard appearance. That hung over look is actually the result of the alcohol depleting your body of the fluids it badly needs.
While the causes of wrinkles can vary from person to person, essentially it always comes down to a lack of moisture either in the body or in the skin. Without the proper amounts of moisture and the proper nutrients, your body essentially has to cannibalize itself to keep your organs in good shape and your body working properly. This will in turn lead to a dry skin that will develop wrinkles far more quickly than it would have if you did not diminish the fluids in the body.
While this does not mean that you have to give up all alcoholic beverages, since it is a medically proven fact that alcohol will speed up aging, you are truly better off sticking to water. If you must drink alcohol, alternate each alcoholic beverage with a glass of water. This will not only ensure that your skin doesn’t take such a beating but can also help prevent a hangover as well.
In order to do away with the causes of wrinkles, you will need to take a close look at the habits you have. Smoking and drinking will deplete your body of nutrition and of fluids and will accelerate wrinkles in the skin.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective wrinkle serum/cream formulations on the market today, in our opinion.
Our Top Wrinkle Creams
Dermatologist Recommendations for Maintaining Younger, Healthier, Vibrant Looking Skin:
- Be certain to consistently apply the product(s) you choose in accordance with its directions for use;
- Pay special attention to your neck and hands while applying the product(s) you choose, as these areas reflect your age;
- Always use sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 15;
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to stay well hydrated;
- Avoid excessive intake of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, as they may contribute to dehydration and exacerbate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles; and
- Be sure to get adequate rest every day.