EltaMD UV Physical Defense SPF 41 Review: Is This Product Trustworthy?
Sun protection is vital to any skincare routine. There are no arguments that sunscreens should be a staple in your daytime beauty regimen. However, the concern over the toxicity of chemical sunscreens made people set aside their sunscreens once again. Fortunately, physical sunscreens, which are much safer alternatives, are beginning to pour into the market, EltaMD UV Physical Defense SPF 41, US $29.50 for 3 oz., being one of these.
In 2015, this product received a low toxicity score of 2 from the Environmental Working Group (EWG), a non-profit that publishes product reviews based on the toxicity of ingredients it contains. It only uses titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to provide your skin ample sun protection throughout the day.
Zinc Oxide (9%) and Titanium Dioxide (7%): Physical sunscreen actives that block against UVA and UVB rays by blocking and reflecting back the UV, a mechanism that works very differently from chemical sunscreens which absorb and transforms UV into heat
Linoleic Acid: Fatty acids that moisturize your skin, plumps it and makes it appear less wrinkled
Quercetin: A powerful antioxidant that both raises UV protection as well as neutralize cell-damaging free radicals which, when combined, causes skin to age and become permanently damaged
EltaMD UV Physical Defense SPF 41 must be applied on your skin at least 15 minutes before sun exposure, and only on days when you feel that you need above SPF 30 sun protection because of more sun intensive activities that you expect to perform. Keep in mind that reapplication every 2 to 3 hours is necessary to keep sun protection effective. Reapply every 40 minutes when you sweat profusely or, perform activities that involve the water.
Product is not intended for use among very young children.
- Product does not contain parabens, chemicals which can disrupt your healthy hormone and organ functioning
- Ideal for daily use when you are expecting more than the average exposure to UV
- Sunscreen works well under makeup
- Product does not leave a white streak
- Contains antioxidants which adds up UV protection on sun exposed skin
- Contains Vitamin E which allows this product to nourish your skin as it protects it from UV
- Nano zinc oxide would have been the ideal, more effective ingredient used in this formulation
- Product contains polyethylene glycol (PEG), a toxic ingredient which can easily be potentially contaminated with 1,4 dioxane, a carcinogen
- Product uses phenoxyethanol as a preservative, a neurotoxin which means that it can cause health problems for your spine over the longer term, and which also makes this product not ideal for use of children
EltaMD UV Physical Defense SPF 41 looks like it can provide you with skin benefits that go well beyond UV protection. The question is, “What kind of sun protection do you need?” Because other products protects your skin from UVB rays as well as it brightens your skin tone.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective Sunscreens formulations on the market in our opinion: