EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Review:Ingredients, Side Effects, Detailed Review And More.
What is EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45?
The single, largest cause of skin aging is direct exposure to sunlight and UV radiation, whether direct or indirect. Exposure to either factors have the potential of damaging skin fibers and DNAs on-the-spot and right at the instant when skin is exposed – it’s that harmful!
That said, you cannot possibly have too much sunscreen. What initially was a standard recommendation of SPF 15, quickly moved up to become SPF 30, and now, professional grade SPF 45 is already being recommended.
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free which retails for $20 for 3 oz. tube, is a broad spectrum, professional grade sunscreen presented as a sheer, lightweight cream. The product is also available in 7 oz. sized containers.
What this product does is to amp up your skin’s protection from damaging exposure to the sun and UV radiation, effectively protecting already damaged skin from further sun-induced signs of skin aging. However it may cause skin irritation or rash.
This product’s formulation is specially designed and prepared for those with normal to oily skins. Although, people with normal to dry skin have also experienced wonderful results from product use.
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 – Does it Really work?
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free is proudly made in the USA. The company has over 25 years of research and product development, and a broad portfolio of skincare products to boast of.
With regular use of Elta MD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free, the company promises you a better restored and protected skin.
Zinc Oxide (9.0%) and Octinoxate (7.5%) work to protect skin by deflecting UV rays, blocking sunlight, and transforming these otherwise harmful external factors into harmless heat.
Formulation also includes Vitamins C and E, and a variety of skin conditioning agents that leave skin feeling hydrated and elastic but not tight.
What are the Ingredients in EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45?
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 is formulated with two active ingredients: Zinc Oxide (9.0%) and Octinoxate (7.5%) both are sunscreen actives which are capable of deflecting UV rays from skin or transform sunlight and UV exposure to a non-damaging kind of heat. Through which, these two primary ingredients are able to protect skin from the damaging effects of sun and UV radiation.
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 is packed with the following ingredients in its formulation:
- Solvents: Purified Water
- Moisturizers and skin conditioning agents: Cetearyl Glucoside, Polyisobutene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Citric Acid
- Stabilizers and texturizers: Octyl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyether-1, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Triethoxycaprylylsilane
- Preservative: Phenoxyethanol
- Butylene Glycol: Preservative that prevents products from drying out.However it may cause a rash around the eyes or skin irritation.
Benefits of EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45
- Product offers SPF45 protection, way above the current SPF30 standard
- Protects against a broad spectrum of sun rays but may cause rash on applied area.
- Offers profesional strength sunscreen
Disadvantages of EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45
- Product is deemed by manufacturer to work best for normal to oily skin but, oily skin types have experienced so much more greasiness using this product.
- The official product web page via the manufacturer’s website declares that the product may only be dispensed by a physician. However, online buying sites are offering to ship EltaMD products, including the EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free. It may still be best used with proper consultation with a qualified medical professional, given the product’s high concentration of active ingredients.
- It contains alcohol which cause skin dryness.
How To Apply EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45
- Physician dispensed only.
- Wash face then tone.
- Apply a generous amount of EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 on your face, neck, decollete, back of hands and other areas of the skin that will be exposed to sunlight during the day.
- Religiously re-apply product on all exposed areas of the skin every two hours during the day.
Does EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Have any Side Effects?
Zinc Oxide and Octinoxate can cause mild to moderate skin irritation among people who have hypersensitivity reactions with these ingredients.
Final Verdict:EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45
Enjoy the sun or not, it’s always prudent to protect your skin from damaging sunlight and UV exposure daily by minimizing exposure or, by using sun protective products like EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective Sunscreens formulations on the market in our opinion:
Our Top Sunscreens
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our estimation of efficacy.
*Results may vary. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purposes only. No medical claims are implied in this content, and the information herein is not intended be used for self diagnosis or self trealment of any condition.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "associate sales links." This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials."