EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45: Does It Work?
The single, largest cause of skin aging is direct exposure to sunlight and UV radiation, whether direct or indirect. Exposure to either factors have the potential of damaging skin fibers and DNAs on-the-spot and right at the instant when skin is exposed – it’s that harmful!
That said, you cannot possibly have too much sunscreen. What initially was a standard recommendation of SPF 15, quickly moved up to become SPF 30, and now, professional grade SPF 45 is already being recommended.
About EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Freewhich retails for $25 for 3 oz. tube, is a broad spectrum, professional grade sunscreen presented as a sheer, lightweight cream. The product is also available in 7 oz. sized containers.
What this product does is to amp up your skin’s protection from damaging exposure to the sun and UV radiation, effectively protecting already damaged skin from further sun-induced signs of skin aging.
This product’s formulation is specially designed and prepared for those with normal to oily skins. Although, people with normal to dry skin have also experienced wonderful results from product use.
Manufacturer Information and its Claims about EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free is proudly made in the USA. The company has over 25 years of research and product development, and a broad portfolio of skincare products to boast of.
With regular use of Elta MD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free, the company promises you a better restored and protected skin.
How Does EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Work?
Zinc Oxide (9.0%) and Octinoxate (7.5%) work to protect skin by deflecting UV rays, blocking sunlight, and transforming these otherwise harmful external factors into harmless heat.
Formulation also includes Vitamins C and E, and a variety of skin conditioning agents that leave skin feeling hydrated and elastic but not tight.
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Ingredients
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 is formulated with two active ingredients: Zinc Oxide (9.0%) and Octinoxate (7.5%) both are sunscreen actives which are capable of deflecting UV rays from skin or transform sunlight and UV exposure to a non-damaging kind of heat. Through which, these two primary ingredients are able to protect skin from the damaging effects of sun and UV radiation.
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 is packed with the following ingredients in its formulation:
- Solvents: Purified Water
- Moisturizers and skin conditioning agents: Cetearyl Glucoside, Polyisobutene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Citric Acid
- Stabilizers and texturizers: Octyl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyether-1, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Triethoxycaprylylsilane
- Preservative: Phenoxyethanol
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Benefits
- Product offers SPF45 protection, way above the current SPF30 standard
- Protects against a broad spectrum of sun rays
- Offers profesional strength sunscreen
- Does not leave any residues
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Drawbacks
- Product is deemed by manufacturer to work best for normal to oily skin but, oily skin types have experienced so much more greasiness using this product.
- The official product web page via the manufacturer’s website declares that the product may only be dispensed by a physician. However, online buying sites are offering to ship EltaMD products, including the EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free. It may still be best used with proper consultation with a qualified medical professional, given the product’s high concentration of active ingredients.
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Dosage Instructions
Physician dispensed only.
Wash face then tone. Apply a generous amount of EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 on your face, neck, décolleté, back of hands and other areas of the skin that will be exposed to sunlight during the day.
Religiously re-apply product on all exposed areas of the skin every two hours during the day.
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Precautions
- For external use only.
- Never apply on broken, cut or bruised skin.
- Avoid product from getting into contact with your eyes as it can cause eyes to become irritated.
- Keep out of exposure from direct heat and sunlight to preserve product’s viability.
- Product is generally not for use of children six months and younger. If there is absolutely compelling reason to do so, consult with your physician first.
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Side Effects
Zinc Oxide and Octinoxate can cause mild to moderate skin irritation among people who have hypersensitivity reactions with these ingredients.
Who Can Use EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45?
EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free is highly recommended by the manufacturer for use of men and women of all ages who have normal to oily skin types. However, people with normal to dry skin have given this product rave reviews and seem to work better for their skin type than as recommended by manufacturer.
Enjoy the sun or not, it’s always prudent to protect your skin from damaging sunlight and UV exposure daily by minimizing exposure or, by using sun protective products like EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective Sunscreens formulations on the market in our opinion: