Eyelash Extensions Pros and Cons:The Beautiful and ugly side of Eyelash
Already tired of the common side effects of fake lashes (like gluing your lids together, taking forever to put them on, or when you finally do, having them end up looking super fake)? You should try lash extensions!
Eyelash extensions are the ideal eyelash enhancing choice for most people who wish they’d been blessed with thicker and longer eyelashes. But before rushing for an appointment, there are several things you should know about them first. In this article, eyelash extensions pros and cons are enumerated and discussed to help you decide whether or not this option will suit your beauty needs.
What Are Eyelash Extensions?
Instead of having a one-piece strip of lashes to put over your entire lash line, an aesthetician instead glues on a strand on every single eyelash. Each artificial lash is applied about a millimeter away from the lash line for an illusion of fuller, longer Longer natural eyelashes.
Although this has been around for over a decade, it is just recently gaining popularity as a common beauty ritual.
The three most popular kinds of extensions are synthetic, silk, and mink. Synthetic lashes are the cheapest, least likely to cause allergic reactions, cruelty-free, and are great for testing out the waters of extensions first before diving into it.
Silk eyelashes, on the other hand, are thicker with a more uniform curl and are typically used on rare special occasions such as weddings.
Mink lashes are the most lightweight and natural-looking option but are also the most expensive. Beyonce is known to be using this luxurious type of lashes.
Aside from these three, there are also permanent and semi-permanent extensions.
Permanent Eyelash Extensions are expensive eyelash transplants applied under anesthesia in a surgical procedure. Here, real lashes and hair roots are transplanted onto the eyelids to achieve more eyelashes growth.
This is usually done on people who are not able to grow eyelashes or have lost them after an accident or cancer treatment.
However, they are semi-permanent because your lashes undergo a cycle where they naturally fall off every two to three months. Therefore, when your natural lashes fall out, the extensions fall along with them.
Pros of Eyelash Extensions:
Now that you have a better idea about eyelash extensions, here are the good things that make them worth trying out:
- They look great and very natural. Because real hair is often used, extensions give you a natural yet more dramatic look that opens up your eyes and makes you appear alert and awake.
- They last longer. Depending on the strength of your lashes, the adhesive, the length of your lash cycle, and proper maintenance and care, extensions can last anywhere between two to five weeks. However, regular maintenance every two weeks or so is required to have them looking perfect all the time. For best results, I recommend strengthening your natural lashes first with products like Lash food from Sephora.
- They allow you to go makeup free. With extensions, you won’t need any eyeliner or mascara because you already appear to have longer and thicker lashes. In fact, it is not recommended to use mascara with extensions to prevent any damage. You also won’t have to deal with smears, flaking, or running that comes with wearing and removing mascara.
- You get more instant results than a FEG Eyelash Enhancer. Not even the best Eyelash Enhancers can give you longer, fuller lashes in hours. When comparing an eyelash enhancer vs extension, the former takes a longer time but also lasts longer.
- They can help you save time. Since you will be removing mascara and liner from your makeup routine, you will have more time to spend on important things. This is great for busy people who spend a lot of time doing their makeup.
- They are customizable. From the length to thickness and curl, you can choose how your extensions will look. Lengths vary between 6 to 17 millimeters, but the usual lengths are 10 to 12 mm for a natural appearance. “C” curls are more dramatic while “J” curls look more natural.
Cons of Eyelash Extensions:
However, it’s not all rainbows and flowers. There are also drawbacks and eyelash extension side effects which include:
- The process takes a long time. The tedious procedure of applying 75 or more lash strands on each eye can last from two to three hours. And unlike when you get your hair or nails done, you can’t read, talk on the phone, or look at your phone while getting extensions. So, you might consider that if you have a busy schedule.
- They can cause allergic reactions. Some people have allergies to the lash glue used, especially those that contain formaldehyde. Adhesives that don’t have formaldehyde also produce the substance due to a chemical reaction upon exposure to air. So, if you have sensitive skin, consult the technician first to find a safe, formaldehyde-free glue.
- They are expensive. Depending on the type and specifics of your extensions, the cost can range from $100 to $500. Moreover, the maintenance appointments average from $50 to $75 per session. That’s a lot of money given that you may have to get them done every few weeks.
- They can also look fake. Although they can look very natural, extremely long ones can appear fake even from afar, especially those on the lower lash line.
- They limit your use of eye makeup. Aside from avoiding mascara, it is also not recommended to wear eyeshadow and eyeliner with extensions because you’ll then have to remove them afterwards. Both washing and rubbing can damage your lashes. Oil-based makeup removers and products can also cause the adhesive to lose effect.
- They are not for everyone. If you are a swimmer or a regular gym goer, the lifespan of your extensions can dramatically shorten due to constant exposure to water and sweat that weakens the glue.
- They will eventually look ugly, and you’ll have to get them professionally removed. Skincare expert Michelle Skelly from LinkedIn said that when your lashes fall out, your extensions will look more and more sparse and ugly. You also don’t want to yank the remaining strands off as this will also cost you your actual lashes.
- They require responsibility and maintenance. Nobody tells you this, but I am telling you now: extensions require blow drying if you want them to look perfect. In fact, they come with a brush, a special cleanser, and a sponge-tipped tool. These prevent tangling and disarrangement after washing or taking a bath.
Pro Tips For Taking Care Of Extensions:
Aside from these lash extensions pros and cons, you need to learn more before getting your lashes done.
Beauty experts like Paula Begoun (a.k.a. “The Cosmetics Cop” who is an author, host, businesswoman, and founder of Paula’s Choice) have given a few tips and tricks for maintaining and caring for your lashes. Some of these are listed below.
- Have your extensions professionally removed. This ensures your and your lashes’ safety.
- After the procedure, do not get water on your lashes until after 24 to 48 hours when the glue has completely set.
- Avoid hot hair dryers, sweat and steam from getting anywhere near your lashes in the first 24 hours as these can weaken the glue.
- Sleep on your back to avoid fallouts, folding, repositioning, or crushing your lashes.
- Steer clear of oil-based makeup removers and products like gel liners or mascara.
- Use a lash comb or spoolie brush on your lashes every day to avoid tangles.
- Avoid touching or playing with your lashes and never rub your eyes. This will potentially remove the extensions and irritate your eyes.
- Know the difference between an infection and allergic reaction. Choose a licensed technician, who will know how to avoid infection. However, note that even if the glue is not inherently harmful, your skin can still react if you are simply allergic to its components.
- Do not use waterproof mascara which is hard to remove or an eyelash straightener that tugs on your lashes. Straightening Eyelashes won’t be necessary and can damage the extensions or your actual lashes. The same goes with an eyelash curler.
- Find a professional and trusted technician who is properly trained and uses the right products. This will help you protect your lashes and more importantly, your eyes. Check reviews and before-and-after photos as your reference.
Although extensions are very appealing, these eyelash extensions pros and cons reveal how much of a work and responsibility comes with them. So, before getting your own extensions, take your time to think about these carefully.
Of course, you deserve to look your best, but beauty sure does come with a little sacrifice and some price. It’s up to you to decide whether or not it will be worth it.
Our Top Eylash Enhancing ProductsDuring our research, the skin care specialists we consulted provided useful tips that contribute to achieving and maintaining beautiful, healthy eyelashes, including the following:
- Be certain to consistently apply the product(s) you choose in accordance with its directions for use;
- Pay special attention to removing any makeup that you have applied both mascara as well as eye shadow prior to bedtime;
- Eating a healthy diet that contains milk and fish can help strenghten eyelashes;
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to stay well hydrated;
- Avoid excessive intake of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, as they may contribute to dehydration and exacerbate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles; and
- Be sure to get adequate rest every day