How Does Hyaluronic Acid Serum Work?
Hyaluronic acid is a very popular ingredient in most skin care products. You may have come across it in anti-aging supplements. It is a potent hydrating agent and also packs loads of other beneficial nutrients for enhancing skin firmness and texture.
Also called hyaluronan, this ingredient occurs naturally in our bodies. To supplement the natural hyaluronic acid, synthetic analogs are used in the form of hyaluronic acid serum.
The science of how it works is based on its strong humectant potential. Hyaluronic acid has a way of locking in skin moisture thus keeping the skin soft and well hydrated. In fact, research studies have established that hyaluronic acid is capable of holding up to 1000 times its weight in water.
Hyaluronic acid is also known to diminish wrinkles, eliminate fine lines, and even out dark spots. Because of these anti-aging benefits, this ingredient is used in many skincare products. Lastly, hyaluronic acid is also rich in anti-inflammatory peptides. It soothes the skin of any inflammation and also supports the healing of skin breaks.
To improve skin moisture or fight aging signs like wrinkles, apply the hyaluronic acid serum on damp skin. Wait for 15 minutes before applying your moisturizers and other routing skin products.
Which Hyaluronic Acid Serum Is Best For You?
Hyaluronic acid serums can be used to improve skin moisture and eliminate aging symptoms. These humectants can be used on any type of skin. Be it oily, dry, a combination of both oily and dry skin, or sensitive and mature skin.
Choosing the best hyaluronic acid serum depends on a number of factors. For instance, you may want to consider brand preferences, affordability, among other factors. Most important however are the ingredients infused in the serum. That determines the effectiveness of the product.
Hyaluronic acid has been found to skin thinning often associated with aging. To benefit from its immense revitalizing power, use hyaluronic acid products routinely.
What are the Common Hyaluronic Acid Serum Ingredients To Look For?
- Hyaluronic acid: rich in anti-inflammatory peptides to soothe skin inflammation. It moisturizes, plumps, and tightens the skin thus staving off aging signs. Hyaluronic acid is a key molecule in skin aging.
- Vitamin B5: also called pantothenic acid. Vitamin B5 improves the skin’s moisture retention capacity. Besides, it also stimulates collagen and elastin synthesis leading to improved skin firmness, tone, and texture. What’s more, pantothenic acid also has anti-inflammatory peptides to soothe any form of skin inflammation (source).
- Silk proteins: in skincare products, silk proteins enhance moisture retention, thanks to their porous molecular structure capable of absorbing up to 50 times the weight of water. These proteins also enhance the synthesis of collagen thus aiding in eliminating wrinkles and other signs of aging. Lastly, silk proteins protect against UVB and UVA radiations.
- Mineral complex: Zinc, iron, copper, etc. are some common minerals infused in hyaluronic acid serums. They enhance the synthesis of collagen and elastin. The minerals also soften the skin, in addition to facilitating the healing of wounds.
- Ceramides: enhance the hydrating effect of hyaluronic acid. Ceramides form a protective layer that limits moisture loss from the skin (source). They also protect against UV radiation.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Hyaluronic acid is rich in anti-inflammatory peptides that relieve any form of skin inflammation and also supports wound healing. Its antioxidants protect the skin from the damaging effects of free radicals. The antioxidant peptides also protect the skin from UV radiation.
Hyaluronic acid also has countless anti-aging benefits. For instance, it enhances the synthesis of collagen and elastin leading to enhanced skin firmness and tone. By plumping up your skin, hyaluronic acid rids your skin of fine lines and wrinkles.
Hyaluronic acid is a powerful humectant. It locks in moisture, thus keeping the skin hydrated all days long.
That being said, here are some hyaluronic acid serum brands from the industry’s finest manufacturers, you might want to check out. They are clinically proven by third-party laboratories and are the best, in our opinion.