L’Oreal Eye Defense: Does L’Oreal Eye Defense Work?
L’Oreal Eye Defense Overview
L’Oreal Eye Defense is an eye cream that reduces fine lines, puffiness and under-eye circles. It’s made for all skin types, which is a refreshing change, but appears to be more of a cream used to prevent aging rather than try to reverse it. The main active ingredient is enzymes which moisturise the skin.
L’Oreal Eye Defense Paris is a world famous brand, so high standards are naturally expected from a brand that is proven to be trusted by women. As such, the site does not necessarily need testimonials because of proven brand loyalty, but more information on the cream’s ingredients and information about clinical trials would have been helpful. The main page doesn’t give much information specific to the cream, but rather general anti-aging lifestyle tips and the recommended amount to use per application.
The product information is all on one subpage with tabs on L’Oreal’s official site, which does offer several contact us links and general information about the company, as well as options to register with the site or create a wishlist.
L’Oreal Eye Defense – Product Description
The cream contains liposomes (enzymes), which are stated to hydrate and nourish the skin. Liposomes in the cream penetrate deep into the skin and merge with damaged skin cells to help repair them, although this information is not present on L’Oreal’s site. There is little information regarding the rest of the ingredients, which is off-putting to allergy sufferers. Had this not been a L’Oreal Eye Defense product, the scant amount of information present would have been dubious, so it’s clear that the site is simply relying on brand name recognition and does not even provide a time frame or percentage of puffiness/circle reduction to shape the customer’s expectations.
However, a quick glance at some online reviews state that the cream is fairly moisturizing and does help with under-eye puffiness, but is not effective on dark circles or fine lines, with one review reporting that the circles had in fact become darker.
The cream costs $13.99 for a 5oz jar from drugstore.com (L’Oreal’s partner vendor linked within the official site), which is around the same price as in stores such as Walgreens or CVS. The site offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, minus a $4.99 shipping fee. Drugstore.com also has a contact telephone number.
L’Oreal Eye Defense Advantage
- Made for all skin types; non-greasy
- Brand recognition – easier to trust
- Money-back guarantee
- Moderate price
L’Oreal Eye Defense – Drawbacks
- No information on product ingredients other than liposomes (“science” page offers no scientific information)
- Several reviews stating that the cream is not effective on dark circles or fine lines
L’Oreal Eye Defense – The Bottomline
While it’s easy for a consumer to buy into the brand loyalty of L’Oreal as a leading cosmetics and skincare brand, it’s difficult to ascertain how much more effective this cream is compared to other, lesser-known products. The company does offer a money-back guarantee, so there’s no risk to at least try it, but the available product information does little to portray the cream as anything more than a generalised moisturiser, which is unfavorable when several independent negative reviews are taken into account.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective eye cream formulations on the market today, in our opinion.
Our Top Eye Creams
Also Remember These Dermatologist Recommended Important Tips:
- Age has nothing to do with the lines that appear on the corners of your eyes... it's a combination of heredity and careless abuse of the area.
- Skin is skin... it all needs to be cared for in one way or another. For my younger readers, this means not pulling on the skin when removing eye makeup.
- The eye area is prone to fine lines and wrinkles, so it is really important not over-work the area, squint, and stay away from smokey rooms. Your eyes won't like that either.
- One of the best ways to protect this area of your face is to put on a pair of sunglasses every single time you go outside spring, summer, fall and winter.
- There are very few oil glands in the eye area, so it can dry out very quickly, especially if you spend a great deal of time out of doors.
- When you chose an eye cream, be sure to choose one that is especially formulated for this delicate skin. Don't use a day cream that could be full of ingredients that will irritate this area. Too rich a cream can cause as many problems as ignoring the area.