La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Review: Is it Really Good for Your Skin?
From La Roche-Posay, a division of L’Oreal Group, comes La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX. it is a sun protection lotion with broad spectrum efficacy that protects skin from the burning effects as well as the longer-term damage caused by harmful deep-penetrating UVA and surface damaging UVB rays.
Manufacturer claims that this product has an intelligent moisture release system that keeps the skin well-hydrated up to 24 hours everyday. Silicones, Cyclomethicone and Cimethicone, and glycerin lead the skin moisturizing ingredients infused in this product. These, however, may not be sufficient for a lasting skin hydration that brings longer lasting moisture improvements to your skin.
Sold at US $33.99, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX, performs to bring temporary relief from skin dryness but are not made for lasting moisture improvements. More than anything, this product is a sunscreen with SPF 15.
As sunscreen actives are often highly irritating, it is a relief that this product has been formulated, as all products in the Anthelios line are, for maximum tolerance of the skin. Although, this product is recommended to be best used for normal skin.
Key active ingredients are:
- Exclusive Mexoryl SX (ecamsule), a UV filter with peak efficacy against short UVA rays
- Avobenzone (2%), Octocrylene (10%): chemical sunscreen actives which, together with Mexoryl SX, provides broad spectrum sun protection
- Contains silicones that leave skin feeling soft and silky
Use daily on thoroughly washed and cleansed skin. Apply generously after towelling dry. Reapply throughout the day, every two hours or after sweating heavily or engaging in water sports activities.
Recommended for general use although extra care must be taken before using on children 6 months and under.
- Provides a powerful combination of chemical sunscreen actives that effectively blocks out most UVA and UVB rays, effectively protecting your skin from long-term damage as well as sunburn
- Contains glycerin which leaves the skin with a softer, silkier feel
- Contains cyclomethicone, a type of silicone that readily evaporates, makes the product glide on more smoothly when applied
- Ideal for use under makeup
- Ideal for layering with another skin product
- contains parabens, endocrine-disrupting chemicals that mimic estrogen and alter the behavior of estrogen-regulated body processes
- contains phenoxyethanol, a chemical used as preservative in cosmetics which has been found to be neurotoxic, most especially to children
- Contains silicones which can leave product build up on skin
- Does not contain antioxidants for added UV protection
- Product serves only one purpose, and that is to provide sunscreen protection
- Price is on the higher end
- Limited product function calls for layering this product with more potent moisturizers that leave longer lasting hydration but also improvements in the appearance of skin over the longer term
When it comes to choosing products for your skin, there are several factors that need to be considered. Other than your skin type, you must also discern for what purpose that product plays a part in your overall skin regimen.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective Sunscreens formulations on the market in our opinion: