Latisse – Overview
Emerged from a pharmaceutical brand designed to bring the best medicine has to offer into existence, founder and pharmacist Gavin Herbert expanded his Los Angeles chain of drug stores to develop as well as deliver cutting edge pharmaceuticals including nasal drops and eye drops in the 1950s. Allergan grew to encompass a global $3 billion multi-specialty health care company lasting well over fifty years.
Adapting the mission of “Our pursuit Life’s potential”, Allergan shares its medical dermatological breakthroughs with Tazorac and Botox, but little else is mentioned regarding its affiliation with specific skincare brands until the specific brands are researched. That is until the anticipation of its new eye lash enhancement product dropped other cosmetic and cosmeceutical companies into the pressure cooker. Not willing to take advantage of a drug’s side effect without proper procedure, Allergan sought FDA approval to market Bimatoprost, a popular ingredient in glaucoma drugs, as a prescription solution for insufficient lash growth or hypotrichosis.
Like many of the lifestyle drugs marketed through the media, Latisse.com glamorizes the use of prescriptions to resolve an aesthetic condition. The site opens up with an upper quarter face shot revealing a beautiful eye with long curvy lashes. The upper right provides a physician locator box and the brand’s support of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The lower section provides moving tiles with links to product information, product safety, result photos, patient testimonials, a history of eyelash enhancers eyelash enhancers, company information and a mailing list sign-up. Below the tiles, the website discloses all the medical information and warnings associated with prescriptions including product indications, side-effects and its link to FDA approval.
Latisse – Product Description
Designed for treatment of the upper eyelid only, Latisse promises to produce longer, thicker and darker eyelashes for those suffering from hypotrichosis or inadequate eyelashes. Applied like eyeliner with a disposable applicator, Latisse contains a bimatoprost ophthalmic solution which is known to carry such side effects as eye irritation, dryness, darkening of the eyelid and a possible change in eye color. Other ingredients include sodium chloride, sodium phosphate and citric acid. While the website didn’t indicate it, third-party sources state that Latisse, which is not expected to be covered by insurance, will cost $120 for a four-week supply.
While the product reviews were not abundant due to the recent release of Latisse and the requirement of a prescription, most were positive.
Latisse – Advantage
- Despite being recently release, Latisse has received positive reviews.
- Approved by the FDA and requiring a prescription, Latisse fosters confidence in its effectiveness and safety.
- Latisse carries the impressive backing of a highly regarded medical pharmaceutical brand in Allergan.
Latisse – Drawbacks
- Latisse requires a prescription and medical guidance.
- Latisse.com markets its product as a solution to a medical condition.
- A full ingredient list isn’t easily accessible without downloading the prescription information.
- While trivialized as rare, Latisse carries troublesome side-effects.
Latisse – The Bottom Line
Marketing Latisse as a solution for an eye condition justifies the use of a medical-grade ingredient and a visit to the doctor’s office, but seems indulgent for those with skimpy lashes due to poor genes. Besides the side-effects and the higher cost, Latisse delivers long, full, dark lashes with an illusion to safety backed by the FDA. When put in context with dental visits for straight white teeth, or surgical procedures for slimmer hips and thighs, a prescription for longer lashes may be the next step in the quest for perfection and higher self-esteem. After all, if the eyes are the pathway to the soul, why not line them with the lush fronds of beautiful lashes?
Top Eylash Enhancing ProductsDuring our research, the skin care specialists we consulted provided useful tips that contribute to achieving and maintaining beautiful, healthy eyelashes, including the following:
- Be certain to consistently apply the product(s) you choose in accordance with its directions for use;
- Pay special attention to removing any makeup that you have applied both mascara as well as eye shadow prior to bedtime;
- Eating a healthy diet that contains milk and fish can help strenghten eyelashes;
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to stay well hydrated;
- Avoid excessive intake of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, as they may contribute to dehydration and exacerbate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles; and
- Be sure to get adequate rest every day
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our estimation of efficacy.
*Results may vary. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purposes only. No medical claims are implied in this content, and the information herein is not intended be used for self diagnosis or self treatment of any condition.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "associate sales links." This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials."