Lumiskin Review: Is It Really Effective?
Lumiskin is a proprietary ingredient from Sederma, one of the largest, most well-recognized cosmeceutical formulators in the world, that has been specifically formulated to deliver skin lightening benefits, and which primarily consists of the compound, Diacetyl Boldine (DAB).
What Does Lumiskin Claim
According to manufacturer’s claims, this proprietary ingredient can be infused in various skin care products to deliver the following benefits:
- Regulate adrenal functions and calcium levels which also minimizes skin pigmentation
- Indirectly inhibit the production of tyrosinase, a precursor that activates melanin, your skin’s natural pigment, to lighten your dark spots and enhance the natural radiance of your complexion
- Helps prevent photo damage caused by UV and hyper pigmentation activities induced by other factors that can cause skin darkening
- This proprietary ingredient may be added to various product categories, such as those listed below, to enhance their skin lightening claims and functions:
- Porcelain complexion loose powder
- Day Cream with sun filters
- Anti-dark Circles
- Anti-aging Skin Lightening Mask
Lumiskin Manufacturer’s Detail
This proprietary skin care ingredient is formulated and manufactured by Sederma, the same company behind the Matrixyl series, multi-peptide complexes, which have been used extensively in anti-aging products of a wide array of categories. Founded in 1964 and later, in 1997, becoming a subsidiary of the Croda International Group, Sederma “is dedicated to the development of active ingredients and in the creation of innovative concepts for Cosmetics, based on the mastery of biotechnology, fine chemistry and vegetal extraction”. The Paris-based R&D and manufacturing company is a leading developer of a wide range of high performance ingredients commonly infused in a wide range of hair care and skin care products.
Working of Lumiskin
This product works by indirectly inhibiting melanin production by inhibiting tyrosinase pathways and production, while also regulating adrenal functions and calcium levels.
The key ingredient infused in Lumiskin is Diacetyl Boldine (DAB). It lightens dark spots and brightens your overall skin tone by indirectly inhibiting tyrosinase activity. This is the precursor of melanin which, when activated, produces more skin pigment. DAB also reduces calcium levels and influences adrenal functions to promote lighter and brighter skin tone.
- Lumiskin has been developed by one of the world’s largest and well-reputed cosmetics ingredients labs, Sederma.
- Based on an independent study conducted in relation to the potency of Lumiskin, the researcher noted how DAB caused 25 per cent improvement in dark spots after only 2 months of continued application of this proprietary ingredient.
- The ingredient may have to undergo further independent efficacy studies.
- The manufacturer does not make detailed information about Lumiskin widely available, although detailed documents are available by request.
Lumiskin Side Effects
Based on professional recommendations, Lumiskin must not be taken under the following circumstance to avoid negative side effects:
- User is below 18, pregnant or breastfeeding
- Taking medications or supplementation that may include citric acid, calcium carbonate and aluminum hydroxide, among others
- User has open wounds
Lumiskin must be infused in cosmetics and personal care products that target to deliver skin whitening.
Lumiskin is based on intensive R&D work but there are other factors that will affect its potency when added to your skin lightening products. On your part, it is best to obtain this ingredient from commercial products and not in its pure form.
Skin Brighteners aid in reducing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation revealing even skin tone. Skin brighteners also can help revitalize tired and dull skin resulting in a youthful, healthy glow.
Below you'll find some of the most effective skin brightening products on the market today, in our opinion.