How do night-creams work?
Night creams are anti-agers packed with highly efficacious ingredients that improve skin nourishment thus reducing wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots, and other signs of aging. They are enriched with a sun protection factor (SPF) together with other nutrients.
After a hard day’s work, the human skin naturally rejuvenates at night. Night creams fuel this natural process by providing your skin with essential nutrients.
The direction for use is similar to that of face masks.
- All you need to do is slather a sufficient amount of the cream on the face.
- Let it dry and wear that all night long.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water the next morning.
- That’s all. Repeat the procedure every day until you get the best results.
Which night cream is best for you?
When it comes to choosing the right night cream, a lot of considerations come into play. The consumer brand preference, skin type, and constituent ingredients are some of the factors to consider.
For instance, if yours is the oily-type of skin that is blemish-prone, night creams enriched with salicylic acid and retinol will work just fine. The key here is to try and reduce your sebum secretion significantly thus keeping the oiliness under control.
On the other hand, if you are plagued by dry skin, you may want to choose a night cream that will enhance sebum synthesis and also increase moisture retention.
Look out for brands enriched with humectants. Night creams with glycerin, hyaluronic acid, AHAs, sodium PCA, and tremella extracts are worth checking out.
The Common night cream ingredients
Night creams have different constituent ingredients. Most manufacturers tailor their choice of ingredients to meet the needs of clients with different types of skin.
Here are some common ingredients in most Night Cream brands.
- Hyaluronic acid: Mainly used in dry skin night creams. Hyaluronic acid mainly counters the drying effect of retinol. It does so by inducing sebum secretion and improving skin moisture retention. Hyaluronic acid also enhances the synthesis of collagen and elastin for tight and youthful-looking skin. It’s a powerful anti-aging substance (source).
- Niacinamide: The ingredient is rich in antioxidants that protect the skin from the damaging effect of free radicals. Niacinamide also reduces skin hyperpigmentation giving you an even-toned complexion and stimulate collagen synthesis.
- Peptides: Peptides are basically a small group of amino acids that stimulate the synthesis of collagen and elastin. They stimulate the synthesis of collagen and elastin for firm and elastic skin. Peptides also improve skin moisture content and blood circulation giving you that coveted youthful glow (source).
- Retinol:Mainly used in oily skin night creams. Retinol inhibits sebum secretion while also regulating skin moisture. Research studies have shown that retinol diminished wrinkles and fine lines by improving skin firmness, flexibility, and tone.
- AHAs & BHAs: Alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids act as skin exfoliating agents (source). They enhance the shedding of old skin and the growth of new skin.
Why you need to try night creams
Wearing your night cream routinely comes with countless health benefits. For instance, it boosts the synthesis of collagen and elastin leading to improved skin firmness and texture. Night creams also improve skin hydration and circulation making the skin soft and tender.
Increased skin moisture retention also improves elasticity and facilitates the growth of new skin. What’s more, these creams have anti-inflammatory peptides that soothe your face all night long.
That said, below are some top-rated night creams you may want to try out. These brands are recommended by dermatologists and are the best in our opinion.