Prevage: Does Prevage Work?
What resulted from collaboration between Elizabeth Arden, a high profile cosmetic giant and Allergan Inc., a renowned pharmaceutical company responsible for such medical dermatological products as Tazorac and Botox, is the skincare line Prevage. Released sometime in 2004, Prevage, an antioxidant cream, was set to provide enhancement to the skin’s own restorative abilities. Offered as a medical-grade cosmeceutical through a physician or available commercially through Elizabeth Arden, Allergan’s Prevage targets all skin types, including women of color, those with fairer complexions and men.
PrevageSkin.com, with its gray and orange color scheme successfully mixes the characteristics of a cosmetic and pharmaceutical website. Each keyword on the menu bar provides a drop down-list for easy navigation. The site also includes an interactive component providing videos, news alerts and additional information. While the website is exclusively devoted to Prevage’s commercial products, a purchase requires redirection to Elizabeth Arden’s website.
PrevageMD.com, with a similar color scheme, provides information regarding the medical-grade version of Elizabeth Arden’s Prevage. It divides the site into information targeting doctors and details for the consumer. Available only through a physician, Prevage MD also boasts of improving the skin’s youthfulness through an antioxidant cream. The difference between the two versions, though not specific, appears to be in the amount of a particular antioxidant Idebenone, which is listed as the bedrock of the effective formula. At one percent, the MD formula probably contains a higher Idebenone concentration that makes a doctor’s supervision necessary.
Prevage – Product Description
In offering a treatment, an eye moisturizer and an night cream for anti-aging, Prevage focuses on reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, fading age spots and discoloration while evening tone and texture plus brightening and firming the skin. Prevage skincare products‘ exclusive formula relies on the antioxidant, Idebenone to correct and prevent cellular damage and degeneration due to environmental factors. The cream boasts of an Environmental Protection Factor of 95 out of 100 points. Ranging from $98 to $155, Prevage incorporates the medical benefits of a leading antioxidant developed by a Japanese pharmaceutical company and discovered by German scientists to prevent cell damage, skin aging and treats neurodegenerative diseases. Unfortunately, while rich in consumer and clinical trial information, the site doesn’t provide a full ingredient list.
Aside from dermatological, media and consumer testimonials, third-party reviews were mixed. Many poor reviews for both the MD and commercial versions were due to severe allergic reactions that included swelling and rashes. Several positive reviewers experienced no reaction and were happy with the results.
- The backing of Elizabeth Arden provides increased credibility.
- Positive reviews gave nearly perfect ratings.
- Prevage broadens its target to include men and people of color.
- Prevage has received positive press from magazines such as Allure.
Prevage – Drawbacks
- Prevage carries high potential for an allergic reaction.
- Prevage doesn’t provide a full skincare line.
- The cost is excessive for a product that only performs one function.
- The origin from which Idebenone is derived and a full ingredient list is not provided.
Prevage – The Bottom line
Prevage, a brand with high profile support from a renowned pharmaceutical company and long-standing cosmetic giant, uniquely represents a product of true cosmeceutical caliber. Whether the commercial grade is purchased from Elizabeth Arden or the medical-grade from a physician, Prevage, sets its own path with the use of Idebenone, a potent lesser-known antioxidant responsible for a near perfect Environmental Protection Factor. The reputation of strong allergic reactions and the mystery behind Idebenone’s biological origins impact the impressive backing and testimonials causing a failure to gain full support from consumers.
Top Wrinkle Creams
Dermatologist Recommendations for Maintaining Younger, Healthier, Vibrant Looking Skin:
- Be certain to consistently apply the product(s) you choose in accordance with its directions for use;
- Pay special attention to your neck and hands while applying the product(s) you choose, as these areas reflect your age;
- Always use sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 15;
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to stay well hydrated;
- Avoid excessive intake of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, as they may contribute to dehydration and exacerbate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles; and
- Be sure to get adequate rest every day.