If you are dealing with puffy dark circles under eyes, you are not alone in that dilemma. Many people suffer from the combination. They do not like to look in the mirror in the mornings. Okay. Now you know you are not in the boat alone. But what can you do about the puffy dark circles under eyes look that you do not want to see? Fluid retention is a big cause of the puffiness. If you eat too much salt or drink too much alcohol, the body’s balance tends to get out of whack. The body retains too much fluid and that causes the puffy dark circles under eyes.
You would think that fluid retention in the form of puffy dark circles under eyes would mean the body had too much moisture. But, actually, it is a sign that it does not have enough. Salt molecules latch on to two water molecules in the body. If it cannot get the water molecules from the blood or other fluids, it starts pulling it out of the surrounding tissues. This leads to the skin tissue drying out while the fluid retention underneath makes the puffy dark circles under eyes looks worse. It is important to get the body back into balance in order to get rid of the puffy dark circles under eyes.
Another possibility not often thought of in relation to the puffy dark circles under eyes is sleeping in the wrong position. If you routinely sleep on your stomach, you may be contributing to the excess fluid buildup around your eyes. Sleeping on the stomach puts too much pressure on the body. It hampers the ability of the body to move fluids around efficiently. Since you press your face into the pillow while sleeping in this position, the fluid builds up in your face. That contributes directly to the puffy dark circles under eyes.
If you have been crying for any reason, you may have the puffy dark circles under eyes in high gear. If you have watery or itchy eyes due to allergies, you may also see it in the puffy dark circles under eyes look as well. For either of these conditions, the best remedy is a cold compress. This will bring down the swelling and reduce the puffy dark circles under eyes look. Fluid is both your friend and your enemy when it comes to the looks of your eyes.
Top Eye Creams
Also Remember These Dermatologist Recommended Important Tips:
- Age has nothing to do with the lines that appear on the corners of your eyes... it's a combination of heredity and careless abuse of the area.
- Skin is skin... it all needs to be cared for in one way or another. For my younger readers, this means not pulling on the skin when removing eye makeup.
- The eye area is prone to fine lines and wrinkles, so it is really important not over-work the area, squint, and stay away from smokey rooms. Your eyes won't like that either.
- One of the best ways to protect this area of your face is to put on a pair of sunglasses every single time you go outside spring, summer, fall and winter.
- There are very few oil glands in the eye area, so it can dry out very quickly, especially if you spend a great deal of time out of doors.
- When you chose an eye cream, be sure to choose one that is especially formulated for this delicate skin. Don't use a day cream that could be full of ingredients that will irritate this area. Too rich a cream can cause as many problems as ignoring the area.
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our estimation of efficacy.
*Results may vary. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purposes only. No medical claims are implied in this content, and the information herein is not intended be used for self diagnosis or self treatment of any condition.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "associate sales links." This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials."