Remove Frown Lines from Face with These 9 Simple yet Effective Treatments
In palmistry, the lifeline is one of the major indicators of quality of life. When it comes to skincare, lines on the face are hardly ever talked about in a similar positive manner. Instead, we call them marionette lines, crows feet, and frown lines (smile lines?). Anyhow, that’s probably because lines on the face are generally undesirable and unappreciated.
The Life Line
Nevertheless, like palmistry’s lifeline, those lines on your face do reflect how you’ve lived your life so far and your general state of mind as you cruise through your years. Frown lines or, glabellar lines are technically wrinkles but, more specifically, these are vertical lines on your forehead that form between your eyebrows, and that are most prominent when you frown, hence its name.
At what age do frown lines appear? None specifically. They can show up earlier or, later. Before exploring how best to remove frown lines , it would be best for you to know what causes frown lines to appear first:
It is your body’s natural way of slowing down. As a result, your skin cells have less energy to turnover your skin.
The sad thing about wrinkles and premature aging is that these can be inherited.
3. Poor Diet And Lack Of Exercise
Unhealthy lifestyles suffer your body and your skin, and vices like smoking and excessive alcohol intake can cause wrinkles
4. Excessive Sun Exposure
There is no doubt about it, the sun is one of the biggest contributors when it comes to aging skin, frown lines are not an exception. The squinting further adds to the damage and the rate at which frown lines appear.
5. Dry Skin
This equates to loss in elasticity. When your skin is chronically dry, your skin has a harder time bouncing back from an expression made, causing frown lines to show.
6. Adherence To The Wrong Skincare Regimen
The products you think protect and promote your skin’s health could be the same ones that actually damages your skin.
7. Pollution And Other Environmental Factors
Free radicals can attach your skin cells and either permanently degrade or destroy them completely
Related: How to fight and Prevent Wrinkles
Does Stress Cause Frown Lines?
In a 2014 study published in the Journal of Inflammation and Allergy Drug Tests, researchers set out to find the connection between the brain and skin. Researchers found that chronic stress causes irreversible damages to the skin, that includes loss of elasticity and the formation of wrinkles.
Below is a snapshot of what happens to your body and your skin when you’re stressed:
- Lack of sleep which deprives it of rejuvenation.
- Significantly increased cortisol levels that breaks down collagen.
- Inflammation occurs throughout your body and your skin.
- Damage worsens and, if stress continues, damages become irreversible.
- Telomeres which indicates the ability of your cells to replicate become shorter, putting your cells at higher risk for destruction or, damage.
Check out instead these 9 treatments to remove frown lines:
1. Stop Frowning On Your Frown Lines
You don’t want to see more of those creases, do you? Keep your facial muscles relaxed and the skin above it will stay ironed out too. See, when you keep straining the same muscles, you are making it harder for your muscles to bounce back. Smile more for a change.
2. Limit Your Sun Time
It’s impossible to stay healthy yet not have your daily dose of sun. Choose the early morning to bask for 15 minutes in sunshine. After that, make sure you have your Clinique sunscreen on. Make it a habit to bring your umbrella or, at least put on your hat and sunglasses when you absolutely need to be in the sun.
3. Take a Hard Look At Your Lifestyle
Poor habits are often the likely causes of premature skin aging signs including frown lines. Vices such as smoking and binge drinking take a useless toll on your body. You should channel all those wasted time getting a restful sleep instead, wasted effort running your daily mile or, wasted money on cigarettes to fix yourself a nutritious meal. If there is any tip that could make a lifelong difference other than enhancing your sun care strategy, it’s this. It’s hard, we know but, it’s all worth it.
4. Stop Stressing
Sometimes, the best way to handle stress is to just let events in your life play out on their own. You have to learn how to manage your own energy or, you will succumb to stress. Remember that your performance energy suffers if you don’t recharge regularly. So, get sufficient rest everyday, and make it a point to exhaust your leave credits throughout the year. Learn relaxation techniques — it will be worth it.
5. Get On The Appropriate Regimen
When was the last time you made an evaluation of your skincare routine? If it’s been more than 6 months, it’s timely that you make a quick assessment right now. Daily skin care routine may take time to rejuvenate your frown lines but, everyday that you do the wrong things, damage that lead to permanent skin aging also keep building up.
6. Amplify Your Skincare
When you’re trying to help your skin recover from damage, you can’t afford to stick to the basics. Here are some tips you can try:
- Intensify your exfoliation, adjust frequency and the degree accordingly with what your skin can tolerate.
- Use DIY frown lines remedies like homemade masks made from fatty acids rich avocados and powerful humectants like honey or, you can stick to your Korean face masks too.
- Keep moisturizing even when you have oily skin, for which you will need more water-based products.
7. Learn Face Yoga
Alt Tag: face yoga can make frown lines less visible
Yoga, in general, is great for toning your body and your skin. Face yoga can help localize the benefits of yoga to target your frown lines. Try these frown lines exercises:
- Open your eyes wide open and stare far into the horizon without wrinkling your forehead. Hold for 15 seconds then, relax and do it again.
- Press your lips tight against each other without creasing the skin around it then, blow air inside your mouth. Keep the air in for 30 seconds before releasing. Keep doing it for 5 times more.
8. Schedule a Treatment
Luckily for you, surgery is no longer necessary to correct the appearance of frown lines. Here are some of the treatments you should be asking your specialist about:
- Botox And Dermal Fillers– These are minimally invasive ways of correcting your wrinkles. Botox acts by numbing your facial muscles to cause skin above it to expand. Dermal fillers fill in the void to plump up your skin.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing– The procedure involves enhancing collagen production to facilitate faster turnovers.
- Professionally administered chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and microneedling– These procedures work by deliberately wounding your skin to stimulate faster collagen production and renewal.
9. Expose Your Skin To The Right Environments
Avoid polluted places at all costs and manage your indoor environments by keeping the temperature and moisture well-conditioned.
“It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile,” so goes an old saying that tells you to smile more to stop growing those wrinkles. It may not be an exact observation but, what we do know for sure is that those frown lines stand a fighting chance, and you should give it that opportunity.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective wrinkle serum/cream formulations on the market today, in our opinion.
Our Top Wrinkle Creams
Dermatologist Recommendations for Maintaining Younger, Healthier, Vibrant Looking Skin:
- Be certain to consistently apply the product(s) you choose in accordance with its directions for use;
- Pay special attention to your neck and hands while applying the product(s) you choose, as these areas reflect your age;
- Always use sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 15;
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to stay well hydrated;
- Avoid excessive intake of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, as they may contribute to dehydration and exacerbate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles; and
- Be sure to get adequate rest every day.