What is SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum is a daily skin discoloration serum that claims to correct dark spots. It is a layerable product that works on skin discoloration in all skin tones. It promises to brighten skin discoloration while making the skin more even-looking.
Discoloration Defense Serum is formulated with lightening ingredients such as kojic acid and niacinamide. It is designed to cater to dry, normal, oily, and combination skin types.
It supposedly helps diminish discoloration, improves brightness, and minimizes the reoccurrence of discoloration. It may also improve the appearance of stubborn brown patches, reduces post-blemish marks in deeper skin tones, as well as work as a complementary product for professional procedures such as chemical peels and non-ablative laser.
Who is the Manufacturer of SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
SkinCeuticals is the brand behind the Discoloration Defense Serum. It is a skincare company that produces and sells skin care products that aim to protect, correct, and prevent skin issues. All the products by this company are claimed to undergo rigorous clinical studies that support the efficacy and safety of the product. On the company’s official website, every product page features a section on physician insight where various skin specialists recommend the product. SkinCeuticals products are sold via the official website, authorized retailers, cosmetic surgeons, dermatologists, and medical spas.
What are the Active Ingredients used in SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
The ingredients used to formulate this serum include;
- Tranexamic Acid- This is a synthetically-derived ingredient which help minimize skin discoloration. According to the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, tranexamic acid has been found to effective in improving the appearance of melasma. Topical, intradermal, and oral formulations of this acid have been considered effective. However, the treatment was found to be temporary.
- Kojic Acid- This ingredient is naturally produced by some fungi and is used as a skin brightener. This ingredient is claimed to have the ability to inhibit tyrosinase activity in melanin synthesis as per the journal of Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. Kojic acid has antimicrobial, antiviral, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and skin lightening properties.
- Niacinamide- Also known as vitamin B3 which is a water-soluble vitamin. It is sourced from yeast, meat, fish, milk, eggs, green vegetables, and beans. According to Dermatologic Surgery, topical niacinamide has been observed to help in the reduction of hyperpigmented spots and red blotchiness among other aging signs.
- HEPES- Hydroxyethylpiperazine Ethane Sulfonic Acid (HEPES) is a synthetically-derived acid that activates natural enzymes to eliminate dead cell build-up on the skin. According to the Journal of Controlled Release, HEPES helps to balance a cosmetic’s acidic counterparts due to its neutral-basic pH. It helps prolong and maintain the quality of a skincare product.
- Allantoin- This ingredient is a derivative of urea and is used in the removal of excess keratinized epidermis. The journal of Pediatria i Medycyna Rodzinna claims that allantoin has strong moisturizing properties. It is also non-allergenic thus causes no skin irritation. Allantoin accelerates exfoliation of dead skin cells, making skin smoother.
How does SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum Work?
SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum works through its ingredients to exfoliate, smoothen, lighten, and brighten skin. With anti-discoloration ingredients such as kojic acid and niacinamide, this serum works to eliminate discoloration on the skin caused by elements such as UV exposure, prescription drugs, and professional treatments. A 12-week clinical study by the company claimed that there was;
- 59% improvement in the appearance of even skin tone
- 59% improvement in the appearance of skin discoloration
- 60% improvement in the appearance of stubborn brown patches
- 81% improvement in the appearance of post-acne marks
What are the Advantages of SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
- It might help diminish skin discoloration, brown patches, and post-acne marks
- May exfoliate dead skin cells paving way to smooth, even, and radiant skin
- May work for deeper skin tones
- May be used to complement professional procedures
- May reduce the reoccurrence of skin discoloration
What are the Disadvantages of SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
- The results may depend on one’s response to the serum
- The serum may oxidize over time it not kept air-tight
Is it Worth Buying SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
Considering the ingredients present in this formula, this serum may be worth buying. The serum is also claimed to work as fast as two weeks.
Q: How Much is SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
A: SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum 30 ml retails for $98.00.
Q: Who Should Use SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
A: This serum is suitable for all skin types except sensitive skin. This is because it contains harsh exfoliants that may cause breakouts on sensitive skin.
Q: Are There Any Side Effects of Using SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
A: While SkinCeuticals is silent about the side effects that this serum may cause, we may deduce that some users may experience adverse effects. This is due to the presence of ingredients such as kojic acid which may enhance sun sensitivity and skin irritation.
Q: How Should You Use/apply SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum?
A: Apply 3 to 5 drops of this serum on to the face twice daily. If using in the morning, apply after a SkinCeuticals vitamin C serum and before a SkinCeuticals broad spectrum SPF 50 plus sunscreen. Limit sun exposure and avoid using on irritated or broken skin. If irritation occurs, discontinue use.
Q: Does It Have a Return Policy?
A: Yes, this brand offers a 30-day return policy for this defense serum as well as all their other skin care products.
SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense Serum is a product that claims to enhance skin discoloration even the stubborn ones. It contains effective exfoliators and skin lightening ingredients that are said to work efficiently.
Dr. Sarah Sawyer recommends this serum as a complementary regimen between chemical peels. According to her, this formula is effective on stubborn discoloration yet it is gentle on skin.
Customers on the official website rated the product 3.5 stars which is average, and notably a good rating owing to the high number of people who gave the feedback. Users claimed the product worked effectively for their discoloration.
However, some users wanted to know why the serum they received was brown in color instead of the light-yellow color. SkinCeuticals’ customer care responded to this complaint explaining that the product was prone to oxidation and in that case one should feel free to have the product exchanged for them. To conclude, this product may be effective and so may worth giving it a chance.
Where To Buy?
To make an order, visit the product’s Official Website