Health 101: Spring Cleaning Your Body from Inside Out
Flowers are blooming, leaves are turning beautiful shades of green, the sun is shining, and the snow is finally melting well, for the people living in the northern part of the world at least. The spring weather has officially arrived and it’s time for some spring cleaning.
When most people think of “spring cleaning”, they dig out their rubber gloves, bleach, and other deep-cleaning products to help refresh and rejuvenate their homes. But, we aren’t talking about spring cleaning houses here. Your body goes through a lot, and it’s about time you show it some tender loving care.
2 Birds with One Stone
Regularly detoxing your body is the best way to cleanse yourself of toxins and stay slim for the upcoming summer season. Thus, you’re killing two birds with one stone. Cleansing your colon, liver, kidneys, and lungs is crucial because it helps your body eliminate any waste, pollutants, and poisons you consume on a daily basis.
Look for Substitutes
My guilty treats were always brownies. Trying to stay away from refine sugar and gluten, I feared I would never get that sweet satisfaction from a chewy, chocolate brownie ever again. Then, I found a delicious recipe that used sweet potatoes and all natural ingredients in their homemade brownies! I made this recipe twice for my boyfriend, and he couldn’t tell that I used sweet potatoes instead of flour—I took that as a victory.
My Good Morning Smoothie
When losing weight or just trying to stay fit, eating healthy 80 percent of the time is the ideal goal for keeping you on track of your diet. But, let’s get real— do you really only splurge 20 percent of the time? No judgments here, we all have our temptations. The key to fighting temptation is by trading your favorite junk foods for some healthier options. By doing this, you’re giving your body the necessary nutrients it needs to thrive while also satisfying your cravings.
Since cutting coffee out of my diet, I replaced my morning cup of coffee with a healthy green smoothie instead. This is vital in improving your gut health and making the rest of your body happy too! For an example, here is one of my favorite smoothie recipes that always help kick-start my day.
Items you’ll need for 2 full servings:
- 1 blender
- 1 cup of fresh mint tea
- 1 cup of grapefruit juice
- 20 ice cubes
- 1 banana
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup Frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
What makes these ingredients good for your body or your gut health?
- Smelling the scent of mint alone stimulates the glands in your mouth and stomach, which then accelerates digestion.
- Regularly consuming grapefruits reduces your appetite and enhances the breakdown of fat in your body.
- Bananas are packed with potassium and increase bloat-fighting bacteria in your stomach.
- Spinach naturally wards off hunger and keeps your stomach feeling full.
- Almonds provide your body with healthy fats, biotin, vitamin E, and fiber.
- Strawberries help burn stored fat and are high in fiber, antioxidants, and folic acid.
- Cinnamon is packed with antioxidants and is known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Honey has strong antibacterial, antifungal, and antivirus properties while also being a powerful immune booster.
Every ingredient used in this recipe provides you with beneficial qualities for your overall health, so there’s no harm in trying this delicious smoothie.
- You will first need to boil one cup of fresh mint tea. Let cool.
- Once the tea has cooled, add all the ingredients into your blender.
- Blend until everything is smoothly combined.
- If you want the consistency of the smoothie to be thicker, add more ice and another banana. Blend until you are satisfied with the results.
- Viola! You have now made your first Good Morning smoothie. Enjoy!
You only get one body in this life, so make sure you treat it like a temple. If you find it necessary to spring clean your house every year, why not spring clean your body? We consume more toxins than our bodies can handle on a daily basis, so it’s never a bad idea to thoroughly cleanse our bodies from the inside out. Keep your body healthy now and your future self will thank you later.