Tumescent Liposuction for Treatment of Cellulite
In case you view liposuction as the ideal method to remove cellulite, you might want to consider tumescent liposuction. A new and more advanced version of the older method that could bring you an advanced anti-cellulite answer.
Development of Tumescent Liposuction
Traosuction happens to be the most popular cosmetic surgery method in removing fatty tissue and cellulite conditions. Although this method came to the plastic surgery scene as far back as 1974, it has gone through a sea change in the form of newer technologies being introduced to refine the procedure.
One such newer version is ‘tumescent liposuction’ that has found considerable favor with people affected by cellulite as well as with the medical community all over the world. The term ‘tumescent’ actually denotes ‘tumid’ or ‘swollen’ – in other words, the excess fat is first made to puff up, as also to soften, to facilitate easy disintegration and removal.
The primary reason for the increasing popularity of tumescent liposuction lies in its convenience, in the form of minimal pain and blood loss. The procedure is also so precise that it does not in any way disturb the adjoining tissues or skin area.
The tumescent liposuction procedure for anti-cellulite treatment is rather simple, yet extremely effective. It starts with a specially formulated solution –with a local anesthetic, lidocaine, which is injected into the fatty tissue beneath the cellulite-affected area right. This special solution also contains drug epinephrine and a tiny amount of triamcinolone. While epinephrine assists in contracting the capillaries momentarily to ease bleeding/swelling, triamcinolone, an anti-inflammatory medication similar to hydrocortisone, helps ease the postoperative discomfort substantially.
Once injected, the solution makes the accumulated fat to bloat, thereby softening it considerably. The swollen and softened fat is then drawn out rather easily with the help of a cannula. The absence of excess fat leads to leveling of the dimpled skin caused due to cellulite.
Advantages of Tumescent Liposuction
Tumescent technique of liposuction offers considerable advantages when compared with traditional method of liposuction used for removing cellulite. These advantages are:
- Use of Local Anesthesia. This is a major advantage as it eliminates the use of intravenous sedatives, narcotic analgesics or general anesthesia. These substances pose greater risks to the cellulite-affected patient’s health.
- Minimal Blood Loss. Addition of epinephrine specifically helps in minimizing bleeding.
- No Side Effects. The instances of side effects are scarce except minor swelling and bruising after the anti-cellulite operation.
- Minimal Postoperative Discomfort. This advantage could be attributed to the effect of local anesthesia that prolongs for almost 18 hours subsequent to the surgery.
- Ease of Treatment. No hospital admission is required for treating cellulite through tumescent liposuction. The procedure can be conveniently done in the doctor’s office or at the out patients’ facility.
- Cost. The ease of getting the cellulite removed in the doctor’s office saves the patient a huge sum that he would have ordinarily spent for hospitalization. In exact cost of this anti-cellulite procedure may vary from place to place – the average cost being around $4500.
The advantages notwithstanding, tumescent liposuction too has numerous risk factors. Apart from the marginal bruising and bleeding, this anti-cellulite surgery can also lead to infection, scars and disfiguration. There also have been instances when an aggressive use of the cannula resulted in permanent dimpling and depressions on the skin.
Tumescent liposuction is not recommended for treatment of cellulite in older people as well as persons with AIDS, cancer and excessive obesity. The ideal candidate, however, should be overweight by more than 25% (but certainly not over 50%) and otherwise healthy, except the cellulite or an obese condition.
Cellulite can affect people of all ages and body types and can be notoriously difficult to get rid of. While there are certainly no miracle cures, using specially formulated creams and treatments along with a healthy diet and exercise plan can reduce the appearance of the dimpled skin affected by cellulite. Creams and lotions that contain stimulating ingredients such as caffeine are particularly beneficial as they help move toxins out the body while other natural ingredients are used to condition the skin, giving it a firmer, tighter appearance which further reduces the look of the affected area.