Washington State International Kite Festival – More than Just Kite-Flying
Washington State International Kite Festival (WSIKF) is an annual seven-day celebration held during the third full week of August. This year, it will be celebrated from August 15 to 21, 2016. Here, you can enjoy a week-long festivity of kite-flying on the breezy coast of Long Beach, which is touted as the “Kite Capital of the United States.” You should easily find it from the downtown Long beach, along the Bolstad beach approach and adjacent to a half-mile long boardwalk.
This super fun event brings famous kite flyers, kite enthusiasts and spectators from all over the world, not just to participate in kite flying competitions, but also to witness the high flying action and enjoy the summer sun! It is also a family affair as lots of exciting activities for kids, even for grandparents are set to keep a happy, exciting atmosphere all through the week.
Things to See
A sky painted with artistic and colorful kites, a festive vibe all around you, and azure waters glistening on the horizon are just some of the reasons why the Washington State International Kite Festival is a must-see event. No wonder why it is called “the greatest, grandest Kite Festival on the North American Continent” by Kitelife magazine.
Some of the highlights of the Washington State Kite Festival are the fighter kites, kite ballet and exhibitions. Other fun-filled activities throughout the festival include:
- Kite-flying competitions
- Kite-building workshops
- Exploring what’s sold in the food booths
- Fireworks display at night
- Photo contest
- Hands-on activities
What to Try?
- Check out the World Kite Museum and discover the fascinating history of kites around the world.
- Enter the WSIKF Week Photo Contest. If you have a knack for capturing picture-perfect moments, then why not upload your photos at https://facebook.com/kitefest. Share your enthusiasm for kites and of course, your passion for photography! The contest opens on August 15, 2016 at 5 am and closes on August 21, 2016 at 12 midnight.
- Delight your palate with lots of sumptuous fair-style foods (barbecue dinner, yum!)
- Find some good “treasures” as you walk along the vendors that line at the approach.
Kite Festival Program
If you want to know the daily schedule throughout the 7-day festivity, visit the Information Trailer at the foot of the Festival beach, and grab a copy of the 2016’s WSIKF official program.
Washington State International Kite Festival is a whole new different experience, especially for kids, as the digital world is taking over “traditional” entertainment. Let you and your family revel in the tradition of kite-flying, and feast your eyes on various artistically-crafted kites gliding in the sky.