How to Compete With Menopause?
Menopause is a word that can often strike dread into the hearts of even the strongest women. While there’s a silver lining around this cloud – the fact that when all is said and done, menstrual periods will be history – the fact remains that menopause can have a huge range of effects on one’s health and well-being. Managing menopause symptoms like irritability, fatigue, mood swings, hot flashes, and more can be difficult, and learning how to compete with menopause and eventually beat it is something that a lot of women have trouble doing. Luckily, there are a few things that can help.
- Diet – Simply put, changing your diet can have a huge impact on your overall efforts to combat menopause. Cutting out alcohol and caffeine, for instance, can greatly reduce the frequency of hot flashes and also help you get a better night’s sleep when insomnia is an issue. Be sure to add soy based foods as well like soy milk, tofu, and tempeh since studies have found that soy isoflavones can help improve hormonal balance and reduce the side effects of menopause.
- Exercise – It can be difficult to do, but it’s important to exercise regularly even if you’re dealing with fatigue. Getting active has a big impact on your ability to compete with menopause and overcome its effects.
- Supplements – Your body may need a boost of supplements to get through menopause. Things like Vitamin D, Vitamin E, B Vitamins, Calcium, Iron, and more are all needed to feel your best. And they’ll also help reduce certain issues like night sweats and prevent osteoporosis from setting in.
- Herbal Remedies – Certain herbal remedies contain plant based estrogens which, when used as a menopause supplement, can actually help to restore the body’s balance of hormones and reduce the effects that the hormonal imbalances can have on one’s life. Herbs worth looking at include black cohosh, wild yam, chaste berry, and red clover.
- HRT – In severe cases, hormone replacement therapy may be needed. It can carry with it a variety of different side effects and potential symptoms and will also be expensive, and as a result is usually relied on as a kind of ‘last resort’ when all else fails.
While there’s no real way to avoid menopause, it’s certainly possible to compete with it and beat it. You don’t have to live in fear of this life change and you shouldn’t feel like you are stuck in a situation where you have to suffer through it. The right steps can help you overcome it completely and actually enjoy life as you go through this transitional period.