Clinique Sunscreen Reviews:- Does this product really work?
Here comes the sun! Exciting alright but chill for a moment. Before you hit the beach and bask in the sun, it will do you good to be reminded that UV radiation is dangerous, causes your skin cells to become damaged, skin to look aged, and at worst, cause skin cancer. In case you haven’t already heard, skin cancer is the most prevalent type of cancer in the US, and no less than the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control has reported so.
If you can’t help but be under the sun, lather on sunscreen on your face and all over your body. Just know that sunscreens aren’t sufficient enough to provide you with absolute protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays, so stay in the shade as much as you can, refrain from tanning, and put on your sunglasses, long-sleeved shirts and broad brimmed hat to add more physical barriers between your skin and the sun.
About Clinique Sunscreen
Clinique is well reputed for having started the trend of putting in more science into the formulation of commercial skincare products – thus, the white lab gown that is so characteristically Clinique. Naturally, Clinique has released several sunscreens over the years, a number of which have been lauded for their superior and well-thought out combination of ingredients. Four of Clinique’s most recognizable sun care products are as follows:
- Clinique Sun Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen Face Cream. Designed with Clinique’s proprietary Innovative SolarSmart technology, this face sunscreen goes beyond providing your skin with physical and chemical UVA and UVB blockers. This product is infused with powerful antioxidants that help provide another layer of protection to your skin while also preventing damage that may be caused by oxidative stress as a result of sun exposure. This product, which retails between $20 and $25 for every 50 ml tube, works best for normal to dry skin.
- Clinique After-Sun Rescue Balm with Aloe. After having fun under the sun, it is advisable that you give your skin a more special than usual pampering to relieve it from possible irritation and damage incurred from sun exposure. Lather on with the Clinique After-Sun Rescue Balm with Aloe, infused with the skin calming and soothing effect of natural aloe vera, this product also helps your skin rebuild its natural barriers so skin is better able to lock in moisture and keep it from drying and flaking. Use it for your face and body for just $30 to $35 per 150 ml tube.
- Clinique Mineral Sunscreen Lotion for Body SPF 30. Owing to the controversies surrounding chemical sunscreens and how they are endangering people’s health, more and more interest has been recently poured into the development of mineral sunscreens. Being an industry leader, Clinique made sure it had its take on mineral sunscreens, among the products it formulated is the Clinique Mineral Sunscreen Lotion for Body SPF 30. Its sheer formula provides broad spectrum protection by reflectig harmful UV rays. It is easily absorbent but will not irritate skin and will not leave a greasy feel.
- Clinique Mineral Fluid for FaceSPF50. To complement the preceding product, Clinique formulated its Mineral Fluid for Face SPF 50, offering very high level of sun protection, and similarly textured as its lotion counterpart but gentle enough to be applied on skin around the eyes.
Manufacturer Information and its Claims about Clinique Sunscreen
Clinique Laboratories, a subsidiary of Estée Lauder Companies, is the company behind these sun protection products. Clinique’s beauty philosophy revolutionized how commercial skincare products were formulated. What used to be all beauty only became a conscious effort of understanding skin better. Clinique began designing products that complemented different skin types.
How Does Clinique Sunscreen Work?
All three sunscreen products are formulated with a complex combination of either chemical or mineral suncreen ingredients. All are infused with antioxidants that add an additional layer of protection for your skin, while simultaneously protecting your skin from potential damage caused by sun exposure.
The after-sun product works by soothing and calming skin with aloe vera. Aloe Vera is the best ingredient to be similarly composed and textured like the outer layers of skin, making it easily absorbable and instantly allows your skin to use it for skin repair and rebuilding.
Clinique Sunscreen Ingredients
Full ingredients list is available only for two of the four products:
- Clinique Sun Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen Face Cream. Active: Oxybenzone (5%), Octisalate (5%), Homosalate (5%), Avobenzone (3%), Octocrylene (2.7%), Other: Water, Methyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), PEG-100 Stearate, Silica, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-Polyhydroxystearate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Perilla Ocymoides Leaf Extract, Plankton Extract, Caffeine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Sucrose, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Maleate/MA Copolymer, Cetyl Alcohol, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, PEG-8 Laurate, Sodium RNA, Phospholipids, Lecithin, C1-8 Alkyl Tetrahydroxycyclohexanoate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Stearic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Maltodextrin, Ferulic Acid, Hexylene Glycol, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Sodium Dehydroacetate
- After-Sun Rescue Balm with Aloe. Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, PEG-8, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Caprylic/Capric/Myristic/Stearic Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Perilla Ocymoides Leaf Extract, Stearic Acid, Tribehenin, Micrococcus Lysate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Cholesterol, Isostearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lecithin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Sucrose, Polysorbate 60, Tromethamine, Dimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Linoleic Acid, Squalane, Stearyl Alcohol, Sodium Beta-Sitosteryl Sulfate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Hexylene Glycol, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Blue 1, Yellow 5, Green 5
Advantages of CLINIQUE SUNSCREEN
- All products have been clinically tested and dermatologically approved for use on all skin types
- All products provide high performing sunscreen complexes provide high levels of sun protection for your skin
- The mineral sunscreens provide an alternative sun protection product that effectively shields skin from both UVA and UVB sun rays by reflecting back the rays with mineral ingredients that do not degrade when exposed under the sun.
Disadvantages of CLINIQUE SUNSCREEN
- Potency of active ingredients are not indicated in the labels
- Very limited information are available for the Clinique Mineral Sunscreen Lotion for Body SPF 30, and Clinique Mineral Fluid for Face SPF 50.
Clinique Sunscreen Dosage Instructions
Apply the sunscreen products at least 30 minutes before sun exposure and reapply as much as possible, most especially if you’re performing water activities or sweating.
Apply the after-sun product on clean skin, cleared of sunscreen, as soon as you’re in the shade.
Clinique Sunscreen Precautions
Sensitive skin may become irritated with the active ingredients infused in any of these four products.
Clinique Sunscreen Side Effects
- Chemical sunscreens contain active sunscreen ingredients which have been shown to cause hormonal disruptions and increased levels of organ toxicity.
- Products generally contain highly irritating ingredients which may not make these products suitable for highly sensitive skin types.
- Products may contain phenoxyethanol, a chemical that has been found to be neurotoxic.
Who can use Clinique Sunscreen?
Men and women planning to get into activities that expose them to the sun should use any of the sunscreens first, and have the after-sun product ready.
These four products provide a great sunscreen protection. Many times, sunscreens do not have the same effect for all skin types because of the active ingredients and highly irritating ingredients which sunscreens are formulated with. The only way for you to find out is to test them. If your skin can tolerate it, you may be better off using the mineral sunscreens.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective Sunscreens formulations on the market in our opinion: