How to Tighten Loose Skin With Dry Brushing to Improve Your Skin
More and more articles and blog posts online are attesting to the benefits of dry brushing loose skin. Many claims that this practice is not only a great part of their routine but has also helped them improve their skin’s quality and to some extent, their overall health.
So how does dry brushing work? How do you incorporate it into your own routine? What are the benefits and what are the risks? Find out in the next sections of this post!
Table of Content: [Hide]
2.1 Cellulite Reduction
2.3. Cleaner and Smaller Pores
2.4. Lymphatic Support:
2.5. Naturally, Boosts Energy
2.6. Improved Body Image and Faster Emotional Adjustment to Weight Loss
2.7. Reduction of Keratosis Pilaris and Stretch Marks
2.8. Spending Less Money on Beauty Products
What is Dry Brushing?
It is an age-old practice that involves brushing the skin in a certain way using a natural brush. It is believed to help improve the skin’s quality and tighten loose skin.
Dry brushing helps stimulate both the lymphatic and nervous systems of the body as well as you hormonal and oil glands, relieving stress on the kidneys. The idea is to increase blood flow to encourage toxin release, firming up the skin.
Benefits of Dry Brushing for Loose Skin
1. Cellulite Reduction
Although most evidence is only based on personal accounts rather than actual research and experiments, many people claim that doing it regularly has greatly helped reduce the severity and appearance of their cellulite.
Experts believe that by improving circulation, skin dry brushing aids in the elimination of toxins of waste, which are the culprits for stubborn cellulite. Dry brushing also reduces loose skin or fat deposits in the skin, resulting in tighter skin and more toned muscles.
Though there is not much research to back these claims, however, it still has other benefits that you’ll surely like.
Especially during the first time, people who dry brush their skin notice that running a brush throughout the skin helps in natural exfoliation or the sloughing off of dead skin cells.
3. Cleaner and Smaller Pores
With the use of a special smaller and gentler brush for the face, this practice can also make your skin softer and your pores smaller and less noticeable.
4. Lymphatic Support:
Based on an article from the Yoga Journal, skin brushing stimulates the lymphatic system, which in turn boosts immunity. Your lymphatic system is an important part of your body’s immune system. It consists of lymph nodes, vessels, ducts, and organs transporting lymph throughout the body.
Many of these vessels are located just under the skin and believers of dry brushing claim that doing it regularly helps stimulate the flow of lymph inside the body, which helps boost immunity and the body’s natural ability to detoxify.
5. Naturally, Boosts Energy
Although there is no sure explanation for this, people who dry brush their skin claim to get natural energy boosts probably due to increased circulation. Because of this, many of them recommend doing it in the morning rather than at night before bed.
6. Improved Body Image and Faster Emotional Adjustment to Weight Loss
Dry brushing has also been found to help people conquer physical and emotional issues associated with obesity and losing weight.
Because you have to get naked for this, it helps people notice changes in their bodies enough to recognize their improvements and the weight they have lost.
7. Reduction of Keratosis Pilaris and Stretch Marks
Several bloggers have noticed that their keratosis pilaris, small hard bumps typically appearing on the thighs, upper arms, face, or buttocks, become significantly reduced or in some cases, completely gone after weeks of regular dry brushing.
Sharon from Fit in Fun also noticed that her stretch marks have decreased in depth and improved in color to match the rest of her skin. Either the dry brushing itself, the oils, or the effects of both may have contributed.
8. Spending Less Money on Beauty Products
Since dry brushing exfoliates, moisturizes, and cleans your skin deeply, you won’t have to buy products designed for these benefits anymore. Some people also find that due to the skin’s increased sensitivity, chemicals on some products tend to burn or have negative effects.
Therefore, bloggers like Sharon do not use these anymore. Besides, even if some products are accepted by your skin, it’s really not necessary, and you may only need to use them very rarely.
Related: Secrets of Skin Tightening
How to Tighten Loose Skin By Dry Brushing?
The first thing to do is to prepare the supplies and tools. Here are the materials that you’ll need:
- Brush with natural bristles (not synthetic or plastic) preferably with a long handle to allow you to reach all parts of your body.
- A soft, clean towel.
- Natural oils like almond oil, extra virgin olive oil, and coconut oil.
Once you have everything you need, you can start dry brushing. Again, it is recommended to dry brush your skin in the morning because toxins tend to accumulate at night.
Doing this along with your morning routine will help improve your overall well-being and energy levels throughout the day.
Follow these steps:
- Get naked and stand inside a dry bathtub or on a tiled bathroom floor. This will serve as something to catch the dead skin cells.
- Before you shower, proceed to dry brush your entire body with long, smooth, and sweeping strokes towards your heart either from the top to bottom or from the bottom up. This process removes dead skin cells and releases toxins from your skin, which you can wash off when you shower.
- Give extra attention to your hips, thighs, and buttocks. Continue to your chest and stomach, hands, arms, and underarms. Finish on your back, brushing down your neck.
- Brush several times over the same area, taking extra care on sensitive parts like the breast. Avoid directly brushing your nipples. The bristles may feel harsh and rough on your skin at first but don’t worry; your skin becomes less sensitive as it adjusts to the friction and pressures the more you dry brush. This can take around five to fifteen minutes.
- Once done dry brushing, step into the shower and alternate the water temperature cycle from the hottest you can handle without burning your skin, and then the coldest. Repeat this for at least three cycles. Towards the end of your shower, go back to the hot water and allow it to cover your body. Then, immediately switch to cold water for a few seconds. This will stimulate your skin and improve blood circulation. This also helps in nourishing your skin by drawing blood towards its top layers.
- Then, step out of the shower and pat your skin dry using a soft, clean towel. Make sure to dry your skin thoroughly.
- After drying, apply a natural oil all over your skin. The best choices for firmer, tighter skin are almond oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. However, other oils like rosehip also work.
- To effectively tighten your skin, do this once daily for at least one to five months. A second dry brushing session in a day can be done on problem areas that are extra saggy or need more tightening. However, some people recommend dry brushing twice per day for best results and the time it takes to actually see improvements vary from person to person.
- Take note to clean your brush with soap and water at least once a week or every after use. Leave it to dry somewhere where it receives plenty of sunlight to avoid mildew and molds growing on it.
How Does Dry Brushing Loose Skin Work?
Your skin is the largest organ of your body. It eliminates one-third of the body’s toxins through the sweat and oil released from the pores.
However, dry brushing, despite its many anecdotal benefits, is not an actual medical treatment and thus should not be considered as one.
With that in mind, supporters of dry brushing that the increased circulation and stimulated lymph system due to dry brushing helps the body get rid of the toxins.
Dermatologists also agree that exfoliation and stimulating the body in something like a massage has well-documented benefits.
People who practice dry brushing insist that brushing their skin is invigorating, and doing this for months or years really made their skin softer, smoother, and firmer, although the latter is hard to measure.
That, according to them, is enough reason for them to continue dry brushing as a part of their daily routines.
Risk Factors And Considerations For Dry Brushing
- Dry brushing in the wrong direction can worsen or result to varicose veins.
- Avoid brushing irritated, wounded, or open skin.
- Gently brushing is recommended for pregnant women.
- Do not share brushes as this can spread skin diseases.
- Dry brushing is not meant to replace diet and exercise.
Therefore, it’s still important to do your own research and experimentation on your own body to observe the results of dry brushing loose skin. So give it a try and see for yourself if it works for you. Besides, what’s there to lose?
Skin Brighteners aid in reducing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation revealing even skin tone. Skin brighteners also can help revitalize tired and dull skin resulting in a youthful, healthy glow.
Below you'll find some of the most effective skin brightening products on the market today, in our opinion.