How to Tighten Loose Skin on the Eyelids
Do you look tired and much older than your actual age? One thing you could blame is if you have droopy or sagging eyelids, also known medically as ptosis. Drooping of upper eyelids make them look very heavy or the crease to look as though there is so much extra skin, giving you a tired, sleepy appearance. This condition could be temporary or permanent, congenital or acquired. Aside from affecting their physical appearance, however, this can also affect someone’s confidence and self-esteem.
Your eyelids may become droopy because of a variety of factors and causes. These make applying eyeshadow more difficult and can also obstruct your vision. Fortunately, there are many natural and medical remedies on how to tighten eyelids. For more information about this condition and what you can do about it, keep reading below!
What is Drooping of the Eyelid?
According to a study performed by researchers from Erasmus Medical Center in the Netherlands who aimed to find out the risk factors for sagging eyelids, different bodily changes happen as we undergo the natural aging process.
This study, published in JAMA Dermatology in 2014 found that among two different groups of unrelated participants and twins, 61% inherited the condition.
According to Dr. Cameron Rokhsar, a cosmetic surgeon, dermatologist, and professor of dermatology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, genetics or hereditary is the most common cause for sagging eyelids. Meaning, whether or not your parents have huge fat pads in their eyelids will largely indicate if you will develop them. These fat pads are also the reason behind thick bags under eyes.
Aside from genetics, another study identified being a male, old age, having a lighter skin tone, and a greater body mass index (BMI) to be risk factors for sagging eyelid skin.
What are the Causes for Sagging Eyelids?
The main cause of sagging or droopy eyelids is the loss or depletion of collagen and elastin in the skin that accompanies the natural aging process. Collagen forms the rigid platform that supports the skin while elastin gives the skin its ability to snap back to its original state after being stretched. Over time, the skin tissues, therefore, lose their firmness and ability to hold weight, so they droop.
Here are the two types of ptosis or sudden droopy eyelids and their possible causes:
1] Unilateral ptosis (one eyelid only).
- An eyelid neoplasm which is similar to a sty.
- Complications in a person’s health.
- Nerve injury.
- Normal dissimilarity of the eyelid due to a congenital condition.
2] Bilateral ptosis (both eyelids).
- Medical complications such as myasthenia gravis, a neuromuscular disorder that affects the nerves and muscles around the eyes.
General causes of droopy eyelids:
- Fat prolapse.
- Fake eyelashes side effects.
- Excessive or repeated rubbing and of the eyelids and eyes.
- Allergic reactions that cause fluid to build up under the eyelid skin.
- Excessive intake of salty food that increase fluid retention in the eyelids.
- A stroke.
- Horner’s syndrome which affects the facial nerves.
- Oxidative stress.
- Brain tumor.
- Other disorders affecting muscle and nerve function.
What’s The Difference Between Drooping Eyelids, Sagging Eyelids, And Hooded Eyes?
Some people think that droopy eyelids or sagging eyelids are the same with hooded eyes. However, the term “hooded eyes” is used to refer to the characteristic slight protrusion of the eyes over the natural eyelid crease. This means that the eyelids are partially covered by the extra skin when you open your eyes. It is very common and usually does not need any remedy since it can be viewed as beautiful and appealing.
Drooping or sagging eyelids, on the other hand, is not usually something a person is born with. It can occur as a product of aging and loss of the skin’s elasticity. While it is very common for both men and women, it could also persist or progressively worsen through time.
How To Tighten Eyelids Effectively?
If you’re looking for ways of how to tighten eyelids, there are many remedies and treatments available. Methods of how to lift eyelids naturally include eye creams, eye exercises, beauty treatments, oil massages, proper hydration, and dietary modifications.
1) Eye creams for Sagging Eyelids
If you’re wondering why eye cream is important, some anti-aging creams or eye creams designed to reduce under eye wrinkles are also effective for tightening loose skin around the eyes and on your eyelids. The best eye creams contain copper peptides to hydrate, depuff, and firm the eyelid skin.
2) Eye and Facial Exercise For Droopy Eyelids
As exercises can tighten the muscles in other body parts, it is also one of the ways to improve skin elasticity. Research showed that exercising your eyes for at least 10 minutes per day can help tone and tighten loose eyelids.
Related: Face Massage: A Unique Face Exercise
To do this, raise your brows gently while a finger is placed under the brow bone to hold the skin firmly in place and hold for ten seconds. Then, close your eyes slowly and gradually, holding each position for about eight seconds. You will feel your eyelids being pulled as you hold the skin with your finger. Open your eyes and do this several times a day.
Look down and look up ten times with your eyes closed. Then, open your eyes and look straight ahead. Look down, up, left, and right without moving your head and with your head facing forward. Repeat each movement ten times.
3) Beauty Treatments to Tighten Eyelids
- Rose water – Use a cotton wool pad to apply ice cold rose water over your eyelid and wait for it to dry. Then, wash it off with some water. Rose water is an astringent that tones and tightens the skin to improve its elasticity and get rid of puffy, sagging eyelids. You can also use ice water or chilled cucumbers. Leave cucumbers on your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Egg white – Use a q-tip or cotton swab to apply some egg white on your eyelids with your eyes closed. Rub it on the crease and do not allow it to drip. Wait for it to dry.
- Thermage – this beauty treatment is a non-invasive procedure that uses radio waves and heat to treat the skin around the eyes. The high temperature stimulates collagen production.
4)Oil Massage For Sagging Eyelids
Oil massage is a great way of preventing droopy eyelids as well as flaking and dryness of the skin around the eyes by releasing toxins. Use oils like coconut oil, olive oil, vitamin E oil, or almond oil to softly and gently massage the skin around your eyes.
5)Good Hydration Drinks:
Hydration is the key on how to get attractive eyes and in reducing aging signs on the skin, including droopy eyelids. The lack of fluid contributes greatly to stress and fatigue. So, drink plenty of water, herbal juices and teas like chamomile tea. Drink a glass of water every morning upon waking up and at night before bed. Reduce your intake of dehydrating food and drinks like salty foods, alcohol, and coffee.
6) Diets for beautiful skin
Proper nutrition also helps reduce saggy skin. You can achieve this by eating a well-balanced diet composed of bioflavonoid and antioxidant-rich fruits and berries like blueberries and blackberries. These strengthen the blood vessels to reduce eyelid sagging over the eye, wrinkles, and fine lines. Eat foods rich in vitamin E and C for healthy, firmer skin. These include nuts, eggs, avocados, fruits, and cold-pressed vegetable oils like olive oil. Eat more grapes, which are high in resveratrol that helps slow down or prevent cellular aging.
Related: Dark Rings Under Eyes – Thicken Your Skin and Protect Your Eyes
The Dos and don’ts on How To Get Younger Looking Eyes:
To keep your skin tight and youthful, simply follow these do’s and don’ts:
- Eat more vegetables and fruits that are rich in vitamins, especially leafy greens.
- Eat omega-3 fatty acid-rich fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel, and tuna.
- Wear protective eyewear outdoors when gardening or doing sports.
- Wash your hands before touching your eyes to avoid infections.
- Sleep for at least eight hours every night.
- Do not stare directly at bright lights or the sun as this can harm your eyes and eyelids.
- Do not stare at the computer or TV for hours on end.
- Do not rub or pull your eyelids too much when they are itchy or when applying or removing makeup.
Although droopy eyelids can be bothersome or embarrassing, they can be treated or remedied through simple ways and methods. Note, however, that some conditions, depending on the causes, can be easier to fix than others.
If updating your skin care regimen and diet and following the said tips on how to tighten eyelids do not work, consult your dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon for other options such as surgery. You can probably also opt for a nonsurgical eyelid lift.