How To Use Avocados For Healthy Skin & Hair?
Avocados are often recommended to be included in the daily meals, as they are rich in healthy fats and they offer a prolonged satiety sensation.
You might not be aware of this for a fact but avocados can be extremely beneficial with regard to skin health – this is because of their rich content in fatty acids but also as they contain other substances with active properties, such as vitamins and antioxidants.
According to the Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2013 study, Avocados can nourish the skin, allowing you to maintain its youthful appearance for as long as it is possible.
The Amazing Benefits of Avocado for the Skin & Hair
The main benefits of avocado oil are to soothe and add moisture, so it won’t work as well if you have oily skin.
#1 Moisturizing facial mask with avocado
From the start, you should know that avocado is rich in oleic acid, which is a monounsaturated fatty acid. When it comes in contact with the skin, oleic acid prevents the loss of moisture and has a hydrating effect at the same time.
Basically, avocado is just as effective as any of the top moisturizers present on the market. According to Medical News Today report, it can also be useful in repairing any damage at the level of the skin and it works on common symptoms, such as irritation, redness or inflammation.
If you want to prepare a moisturizing facial mask, you should know that you can add a number of different ingredients to the mashed avocado pulp.
- For example, you can prepare a mask for dry skin, by combining avocado with honey.
- If you also want to repair damaged skin, you can mix the avocado pulp with oatmeal.
Other great choices include yogurt, bananas, and egg yolks. Make sure that you apply the mask on a regular basis so that you reap all the benefits it has to offer. Also, keep in mind that you can keep eating avocados – they will nourish the skin from within and be useful when it comes to improving memory at the same time.
#2 Anti-acne facial mask with avocado
Speaking about facial masks, it might interest you to know that avocado can do wonders when it comes to oily skin and acne-prone skin. This is because avocado can regulate sebum production at the level of the skin, reducing the risk of acne breakouts. However, more research is needed.
It is also recommended to eat avocados for such purposes, as it can regulate the production of testosterone hormone and improve the appearance of the skin in a short period of time. Avocados also contain oleuropein (the same bitter phenolic compound found in olives), which is shown to boost testosterone in animal studies.
If you are looking to prepare a facial mask to address your acne problems, you are also going to need some egg whites and freshly-squeezed lemon juice. The egg whites will help tighten the skin, reducing the size of the pores, while the lemon juice has to brighten properties and work wonders on any areas of hyperpigmentation.
- Mix the mashed avocado pulp with the egg whites and the lemon juice, until you obtain a paste.
- Apply the resulting paste on your skin and maintain the application for 15 minutes.
- When done, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
As an alternative, you can mix the avocado pulp with honey and cinnamon.
#3 Hand treatment with avocado
Your hands can be just as affected by the aging process as the rest of the skin, requiring some attention from time to time. If you have noticed changes at the level of your hands, you might want to consider this hand treatment with avocado.
In combination with the egg whites, rolled oats and lemon juice, it will rejuvenate the skin at the level of the hands and also eliminate any dark spots, blemishes or other forms of hyperpigmentation.
- Begin by mashing the avocado into a pulp, then add the egg whites, rolled oats and the freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
- When you have obtained an even mixture, apply it on your hands and perform a gentle massage.
- The application should be maintained for about 20 minutes. When done, you can rinse it with lukewarm water.
#4 Nourishing hair treatment with avocado
Not only the skin can benefit from natural treatments with avocado but also the hair. As said in the beginning, avocados are rich in healthy fats, which are highly beneficial for the hair (especially if it has lost its natural luster and it falls easily). The other ingredients, as you will have the opportunity to see for yourself, will lock moisture in and nourish your hair to perfection.
For the nourishing hair treatment, aside from the avocado, you will one egg yolk and a little bit of olive oil.
- As with the other natural remedies, you should mash the avocado into a pulp and then add the egg yolk and olive oil.
- Divide your hair into sections and apply the resulting mixture, performing a gentle massage at the same time.
- The application should be maintained for about half an hour, then rinsed off with warm water.
#5 Rejuvenating facial skin treatment with avocado
Avocados can be useful in rejuvenating the skin, thus eliminating the tired and dull appearance you hate so much (source). For the best results, it is recommended to combine the avocado with honey, which can hydrate the skin to perfection and also keep bacterial infections at a safe distance. You can also use plain yogurt, as this has a soothing effect at the level of the skin and it can work wonders on inflammation and redness. A study funded by the National Dairy Council that found dairy yogurt to reduce inflammatory markers. Yogurt can also make the skin softer, tightening the pores at the same time.
You can begin preparing this rejuvenating facial skin treatment by mashing the avocado into a pulp.
- For the next step, add the raw honey and plain yogurt, mixing them until you obtain an even mixture.
- You can then apply the resulting mixture at the level of the skin, maintaining the application for about 15 minutes.
- When done, rinse it off with warm water.
These are just several ways in which you can use avocado, in order to nourish and hydrate your skin.
As you have seen, avocados are extremely beneficial for both the skin and the hair, so you should definitely consider including them more often in your beauty routine.