“Your wrinkles reflect the roads you have taken; they form the map of your life. My face reflects the wind and sun and rain and dust from the trips I’ve taken. My face carries all my memories. Why should I erase them?”
These are words of wisdom shared by the very fashionable and wise, designer Diane von Furstenberg.
Your wrinkles do mark the journey you have so far taken in this long and winding road called life, and it is good to have them etched on your skin for that purpose and, as you age gracefully.
However, if you are growing dehydration wrinkles then, there must be something wrong with the way that you are treating your skin against signs of age – and, it must stop right now!
Does Drinking Water Help Wrinkles?
In a study published in the Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology in 2015, researchers studied 49 subjects – 11 of whom were made to drink more than 3,200 ml/day while the remaining 38 were made to drink less than that.
Following a stress test and several measures that included moisture content and transepidermal water loss, the researchers concluded that “higher water inputs in regular diet might positively impact normal skin physiology, in particular in those individuals with lower daily water consumptions”.
So, do you think your premature wrinkles are beginning to show because your skin is thirsty? Maybe but, in reality, premature aging is the result of many interacting factors, dehydration among them, and the major factors are:
- Senescence or, the onset of your body’s natural aging process
- Environmental factors such as heat and pollution
- Chronic stress
- Lack of sleep
- Poor diet
- Lack of regular exercise and physical activity
- Worrisome and pessimistic attitude
Keep in mind that dry skin isn’t always dehydrated skin! Dry skin is a type of skin characterized as the skin that limits its capability to capture and store sufficient water.
On the other hand, dehydrated skin is mostly caused by environmental and lifestyle factors rather than physiological ones.
So, What causes Dehydration Wrinkles? Excessive alcohol drinking, having too much salt in your diet, taking too much caffeine, lack of fresh fruits and veggies in your diet, daily exposure to dusty environments, and too much sun exposure are some other factors that cause dehydration wrinkles.
Here are some signs of dehydrated skin on the face that let you know for sure you are indeed dealing with skin that’s quenching for water:
- Fine lines growing on the temples of your cheeks
- Deeper lines on the corner of both eyes and your forehead
- Marionette lines forming on the side of your lips, down to your chin
- Lackluster skin
- Chronically irritated or inflamed skin
- Normally flaked skin
- Hollow areas underneath your cheek bones
- Skin that does not bounce back when you pinch it
How to Get Rid of Dehydration Lines On The Face?
Are you wondering whether dehydration wrinkles are reversible or not? The absolute answer is yes, they are! If you have discerned that you are indeed facing off with dehydration wrinkles once and for all, then it is time you do something about it!
However, it will take a combination of the best skincare and hard lifestyle choices to reverse the damage that has been done.
Keep in mind that the vital prevention and treatment strategies that you’ve been using to tame and manage fine lines and wrinkles will, more or less, work the same wonders for treating dehydration lines.
Below are 10 tips to start you on your journey to younger and better-hydrated skin:
1. Take a Hard Look At Your Skincare Regimen Lifestyle
It won’t be easy to admit but, admit it anyway for your own sake – that there is something wrong with the way you treat your skin or, with the food that you eat.
It could be the sleepless nights spent toasting away bottles of beer and shots of vodka with your friends or, the one pack a day that you smoke.
Unless you admit and own up, your heart will never be committed to these 10 tips and, more broadly, in creating an entirely new way by which your – mind, heart, and soul – operate.
2. Build a Skin Care Strategy
When you have a clear strategy, the end always seems nearer. Set certain milestones like how many sticks you will lose by what date until the day you finally quit altogether.
It could be set just one night in a week to go out drinking with your best buddies but also, commit to drinking in moderation.
Whatever it is that you plan to give up or plan to learn for the sake of your skin, jot it down and make your SMART objectives.
3. Improve Your Sun Protection Schemes
If you haven’t been taking your sun protection seriously, now is the best time to do so. Here are some of the things you can do:
Check Your Sunscreen:
- Make sure it is broad-spectrum and at least SPF 30. Now, you must know that it also must match your daily activities.
- If you work as a Forest Ranger, for instance, who is almost always outdoors under the sun, you might need more protection than people working on Wall Street.
- Make sure that your sunscreen is non-toxic and contains antioxidants.
Review Your Sun Time:
- What times of the day do you usually get to catch the sun? Try to stay indoors during midday when the sun is at its peak of intensity.
Consider Adding Physical Barriers:
- Never think that your sunscreen will ever be good enough to protect you from UV damage and skin cancer.
- Wear your hat, protective clothing, and sunglasses.
- Indoors, have your windows covered with blinds. Consider getting your car tinted.
4. Cleanse, Tone, and Moisturize
Go back to basics with this three-step Holy Grail of skincare.
Enhance your skin’s moisture by following Step 1 to Step 3. By cleansing, you prepare your skin to receive the beneficial ingredients of your anti-wrinkle moisturizer.
By toning, you draw out impurities left during your cleanse and tighten your pores to keep moisture in. Your moisturizer is the local equivalent of quenching your skin’s thirst for moisture.
By sticking to this regimen every day, you will soon see fading signs of dehydrated skin on your face.
The regimen itself is particularly drying but, once the sloughing off is done, your skin is more prepared than ever to receive the hydrating goodness of your moisturizers.
Go for polyhydroxy acids for the gentlest cleanse.
If you have oily, acne-prone or, combination skin, salicylic acid will work best for you.
For average to dry skin, glycolic acid will be an excellent addition to your regular routine.
6. Grab a Wrinkle Cream
If you aren’t using one yet, your dehydration wrinkles should prompt you to consider getting one.
Here are some of the wrinkle creams worth your closer look:
1. Solvaderm Stemuderm
- This product contains the powerful anti-wrinkle combination of Argireline and SYN-AKE, both proprietary peptides added to wrinkle care products that work by relaxing the muscles underneath your skin so that the skin above it stretches back to its pre-expression state as well.
- For buildable, longer-term improvements, this cream is also infused with Matrixyl 3000 which enhances collagen production, and hyaluronic acid which improves your skin’s moisture content.
Read the Stemuderm Reviews for complete know-how.
- It also contains collagen and elastin, which serve as skin precursors, and antioxidants that protect your skin from environmental elements and free radicals.
Read the full StriVectin reviews too.
3. Crepe Erase
- This cream contains TruFirm, made from botanical extracts which give you an instantly smoother surface by relaxing your facial muscles.
- It also includes Skin Smoothing Exfoliators which promote elastin production and Kinetin which supports optimal skin hydration.
Here is the complete Crepe Erase Review.
- Oxytocin is another product that promises you a Botox-like effect.
- Key ingredients include Option-5 which smoothes out wrinkles by up to 47 percent, Argireline, a peptide that relaxes your facial muscles, and Hyaluronic Acid, which promotes a moisture surge that plumps your skin.
Oxytokin Reviews give clear view.
- LifeCell contains interesting anti-aging ingredients such as D3PA, Ubiquinone, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Deanol, Acetyl Hexapeptide 3, and Nitric Oxide.
- In combination, these ingredients are designed to address a number of problems that occur in aging skin.
7. Make Adjustments To Your Diet
- Now, diets are acquired and usually run in families so, this point isn’t going to be easy to commit. For starters, you can try juicing or blending your veggies and fruits.
- That way, you get to enjoy excellent nutrition – no preservatives, no additives, no artificial colors, and flavorings – and enjoy drinking it up.
- Your nutritious diet will team up with your anti-wrinkle cream to fight against fine lines and wrinkles
The next milestone will be to learn to prepare healthy food. Some general rules are:
- Know how and where your food is grown.
- Keep it raw as much as you can.
- If you cook, don’t fry.
- Stay clear of processed foods.
8. Get Exercising
- Complement good food with regular workouts to make sure that proper nutrition is being distributed all over your body, and reaches your skin.
- Keep in mind that the energy your cells need to regenerate is in those nutrients, and exercise will help transport those where they are required the most.
9. Learn Not To Stress
- Stress does age you. Stick to the right kinds of pressure which are the ones that challenge you to be better or to perform harder.
- Stress only takes the best of you, most especially the emotional kind, should be set aside. Remember: you can choose what stresses you.
- Manage your energy, not your time, because you can only do so much depending on your level of effort.
10. Sleep Well
- Believe in the power of sleep to restore your skin. Have you ever noticed how your skin plumps up when you are well-rested, and how your cheeks appear hollow when you haven’t been sleeping well for weeks? That is proof enough that sleep does work but, there are more great things happening to your skin that you don’t get to see from the surface.
Que: Does hydration help wrinkles?
Ans: Yes, it reduces wrinkles, water keeps your body hydrated and refreshed, and helps maintain your skin’s elasticity.
Que: Does dehydration cause face wrinkles?
Ans: Yes, dehydrated skin typically looks dull and can show premature signs of aging, like surface wrinkles and loss of elasticity.
Que: How do you fix dehydrated skin on your face?
- Wash With A Gentle Cleanser & Lukewarm Water.
- Apply An Essence.
- Use A Hyaluronic Acid Serum.
- Use A Gentle Exfoliant.
- Protect Your Skin’s Outer Layer
Que: Is Vitamin C good for dehydrated skin?
Ans: Yes, vitamin C serums are the go-to anti-aging remedy and the antidote to lackluster, dehydrated skin.
Take it from America Ferrera, “Once I started drinking more water, my skin, hair, and nails all flourished.”
For now, you can always cover up with makeup while you are undergoing significant skincare and lifestyle revamp.